Hello :) first time new beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!
I am a new beardie owner, ive never had reptiles before but it all started a couple of years ago when my ASD daughter started with her obsessions with dinosaurs. I took her to a reptile shop where the lovely owner showed her all the reptiles that he had, even letting her handle them and talking about them. Well for the 2 years after this, my daughter has non stop talked about getting a reptile as a pet, as they are in her eyes the closest thing to a dinosaur, and with bad timing the reptile shop closed so I didn't a clue where to start!!
So I did a lot of research online, and it took a lot of convincing, but I have now got a lovely baby beardie, who for now we have called Billie (as she is too young to tell if it is a male or female). It took me a week to set up the vivvy and and I must say, apart from the constant temperature checks and the hopping locusts, it has been an absolute pleasure for the first week of owning her! My daughter is over the moon and is doing very well, it is lovely to see her nice and relaxed talking to Billie through the glass, although it has been a struggle to teach her that we have to wait for Billie to settle in first before she can handle her. Billie isn't eating too well, and I have chatted to the store where I have bought her and he assures me this could just be a sign of stress due to the move and new surroundings, but if I have any other concerns I know I can ask him, and of course come on here for advice!
So that's me really, just wanting to come on and say hi, introduce myself and the lovely Billie, adding to the madhouse that is my family haha!! :lol:

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Hi! I am new too. Do you know how old Billie is? I just got an approx. 8-week old baby and I am nervous about his/her eating too. Pogo eats about 5 small crickets and some mustard greens each day, but that's it. I have also been told that often they will slow down eating after getting a new home or when they are starting to shed. How much is Billie eating?

nldaniels86

Original Poster
I'm not too sure how old she is, I think about 8 weeks as im sure the shop would not be able to sell her any younger. He did assure me that it can take up to a week to get them eating normally again, but whatever they do eat it is important as they are only babys it is important they have their live food rather than greens, and that they are gutloaded and calci-sprinkled to ensure they get the goodness they need from what they do eat.
Billie is only eating about 5 crickets a day and then about 4 calci worms every other day. Ive put in some fresh greens (lettuce, bell peppers etc) each day but she just turns her nose up at that.
I'm just trying to get some pics up so people can see her size, plus she is a cutie, but then I'm biased of course hahahaha!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad that you're getting off to such a good start with Billie. It is common for them to take a little while to adjust after a relocation but I'd expect her appetite to pick up in the next week or so. It sounds like you have a good feeding routine down.

8c0c1d4a59_zps84de46da.png

nldaniels86

Original Poster
thank you :) im not gonna lie, I have ocd, and with having to have my daughters routine down to a t, I have a routine chart all made up for Billie too :lol: it took me over an hour to work it all out, but it fits in perfectly with my normal daily routine, and it means my daughter gets to help with her too, so im not left with all the work, Billie is her pet after all :lol: haha, love the pic, but as my 6 year old will tell you, dinosaurs have evolved into birds, not reptiles as originally thought (oh god, just thinking of her with her hand on her hip now hahahahaha!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom