getting a bd can you ckeck if i know every thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi my names Ben im getting a bearded dragon for my birth day {22 of April} and i was wandering if i know all i need to know OK you need a 4 foot by 2 foot vivarium a uvb light on for 12-14 hours a day and change the bulb every 6 months and at night only if necessary use a heat mat also a basking spot i don't know what temp can you guys tell me all of the temps :!: :?: also i kneed a basking rock/branch a thermometer and a hydrometer and for food crickets with calcium powder phosphorus free i think and spring greens it should be 80%meat %20 veg for substrate i should use sand for when its older but for now paper towels i should have 2 hides one on each side of the viv and a branch and some plastic plants of decoration plz tell me if i missed any think and some tips thank you Ben :D

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It's good you are doing research first :D . There are 2 articles on the right that should answer all of your questions. Newbies guide on lighting and Newbies guide on what to buy.

Bensthename101

Original Poster
destiny1998":39dexzaj said:
Hi. It's good you are doing research first :D . There are 2 articles on the right that should answer all of your questions. Newbies guide on lighting and Newbies guide on what to buy.
thanks ill check it out :D

khartley

Hatchling Member
Welcome and congrats! Sounds like you've got a great start. I'm assuming from the veggie/live food ratio given that your getting a juvenile. Make sure you are well aware of impaction, the risk and the signs. My advice would be to avoid feeding mealworms until your dragon is 10-12" long. As a precaution, I would purchase a probiotic such as acidophiliz before hand, and some jump start. These are things you will not want to have to order and wait for if/when your baby happens to get sick, you will want them on hand. They are pretty inexpensive.
Another start up cost that could save you money is starting a dubia colony now, because it will take a few months before you benefit from it. All you need is a large tote and a way of keeping up temps. They eat many things, even can feed them the crumbs out of your empty Cheerios box lol.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom