Hatchlings with swollen eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnikolex

Hi :D

I have just hatched my first clutch of beardie eggs. So far 100% hatch rate so I really don't want to lose any of these little guys I love them all! I dont post much on here unless I need answers - Im a bit selfish like that sorry.

I currently have 13 little bearded dragons with 6 eggs still hatching. They started hatching on friday so the first born is now 4 days old and he and a few others are eating and pooping fine. 3 of my hatchlings have swollen eyes though. As soon as their heads emerged I could see the swelling so they've developed this inside the egg. It looks similar to when a beardie puffs their eyes out to shed except these hatchlings eyes dont go down. The swollen eyed beardies still drink in the bath and walk about the viv but they walk not dart like the others. And they do open their eyes and from what I can see they look ok internally - no rednessCould this be an infection? . Because they were born like this im ruling out scratches or damage to the eye but i guess it could still be a possibility? Or do you think this could be some sort of genetic mutation? Just wondering if anyone else has had swollen eyed beardies in their clutches - they look adorable like those fish with bulgy eyes but obv I want to know that they're ok.

My local vet who specializes in exotic pets was useless when I took my two rescues to him and I doubt he's even seen a day old bearded dragon but if you guys think it may be parasites or an infection I can go to him and tell him what I need.

I'm not using a coil for uvb so its not uvb damage from that. I'm using arcadia 42" 12% tube light and a white household bulb for basking. Temps are 42 degrees celcious at basking and 28 at the cool end. No loose subtrate just slate with kitchen roll on top. Theyre eating calci worms atm so no lose biting crickets either.

Thanks x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom