securing branches-enriching environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunDragon

My 14 week old beardie is doing well. I have been trying to make the tank a more enriching environment. I have 2 driftwood pieces that I wedge into a large rock. The rock is taking up too much space and I want to rearrange the driftwood. Any suggestions on how to secure the ends of the wood on a ceramic tile floor? I am having a hard time finding objects heavy enough to put in there for it to lean against without taking up too much space of my 40 gal tank. I am open to any ideas on making a unique and enriching tank set up as well.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could silicone it down, but it would be a pretty permanent solution. You could also try using velcro.

-Brandon

SunDragon

Original Poster
Thank you Claudiusx. I am trying to gather as many ideas as possible. Are there any good resources for making your own ‘rocks’ from other materials or DIY information?

Oh and here is my cage, I feel it’s pretty blah so hoping to make it better.
109342-4546320504.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah check out "lizardlandscapes" on youtube. He used to make a ton of videos on doing them. I'm sure there are other accounts and videos out there too on youtube if you search for DIY fake rock formations.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He there, I think your set up looks great and nothing needs to change except I'd get rid of the hammock since they can catch their claw + sprain a foot. I wouldn't change anything while he's small, that can cause relocation stress all over again [ sometimes ] and like I said, your tank is very enriching. :)

SunDragon

Original Poster
Thank you both very much!

AHBD- Thank you for the compliment! I just didn’t want him being completely bored. He seems huge to me since we got him at 4 weeks and he is now 16 weeks and sheds twice a month lately. What could I replace the hammock with that would be a better option. He loves sprawling out up there and sleeps there too. I am trying to move his food around every now and then so he has to ‘forage’ a little- but it all stays in the bowl and I keep it on the cool side. Since the last post, I actually had to move the branches around a little because I was having problems with it the way it was leaning on the hammock.

Quick question for you guys, are there any good ways to go about handling a beardie when you are new to it? I understand how to pick them up but trying to get him used to it and for both of us to be comfortable is stressful on me (he seems ok when he actually just stays and sits). I always have my hand in the cage inches from the floor but that is super uncomfortable for me and I am in the worst position and then he doesn’t get to sit too long because I am dying of discomfort. The tank is on a dresser and I am not super tall. I’d like to bring him out so I could sit somewhere but he still tries to jump occasionally. I feel like aim hitting a wall with this. I wish I held him more when he was smaller but the breeder said to give him time to adjust. So I did. Waited a week or two. Then he started to shed and I was told since it was likely his first shed just to leave him be, so I did. Then to start handling him every other day. So here and there, once a day I would try to pick him up and hold him. But it hasn’t been consistent.We rescued a baby pet bunny someone let go and so now besides my 2 cats, dog and dragon, we have a bunny that needs attention too. So my time has really gotten messed up. Anyhow, Besides just picking him up and letting him sit on my hand for as long as he will, what are the steps of things I should be doing/trying? I am so sorry for my mini-novel. Any tips or ideas would be very appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Cloth hammocks seem far less likely to snag their claws so that's an option. For handling, just take him out in a beardie safe room. Since beardies at times are known to pick up and swallow things off the floor, check that there are no small objects, rubber bands, coins, etc. You can sit with him on your lap for a certain period of time, on your bed or on the floor. Keep a small wad of wet paper towel handy in case he gets excited and has an accident, watch for the little but wiggle + slight lifting of the tail that the do when the have to go ! If he runs off , just be slow + gentle about scooping him back up. You'll get used to it after while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom