How to install terranium into inside of tank

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby LoraLizard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:42 pm

I just got a new 10.0 UVB bulb along with a hood, but because i have a fine mesh cover i think i have to install it inside the tank but i’m not sure how to go about that. And as far as heating, a 100w bulb is only going to 90 degrees with my baby beardie which i know is too cool. Should i go up to 150 or is that too drastic
LoraLizard
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:00 pm

First tell me what the UVB is a T 8 or a T 5? That is going to tell me distance for bulb -next how are you getting the basking temp? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- that will tell you if you need to go up a wattage -- basking temps 105-110 for a baby -- 95-110 for a juvie/ adult
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby LoraLizard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:19 pm

KarrieRee wrote:First tell me what the UVB is a T 8 or a T 5? That is going to tell me distance for bulb -next how are you getting the basking temp? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- that will tell you if you need to go up a wattage -- basking temps 105-110 for a baby -- 95-110 for a juvie/ adult
Karrie


The UVB is a t5 going in a 40 gallon tank. I have digital thermometer that sticks on
LoraLizard
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Ok make sure your getting the basking temp where the dragon sits for basking that will give the actual basking temp---- the T 5 need to be 12-15 inches above basking decor piece -
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby LoraLizard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Ok make sure your getting the basking temp where the dragon sits for basking that will give the actual basking temp---- the T 5 need to be 12-15 inches above basking decor piece -
Karrie


This is her in her basking area, her thermometer is right behind her. Should i get her a new basking decor piece since it’ll be too high up to install the new UVB light. [Click image to enlarge]
LoraLizard
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Get your uvb situated first then work on decor piece- it's easier to move decor than lights- you need her to be 12-15 inches under it
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby LoraLizard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:20 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Get your uvb situated first then work on decor piece- it's easier to move decor than lights- you need her to be 12-15 inches under it
Karrie


Honestly i’m just completely lost on trying to install this uvb. I can’t even find youtube videos
LoraLizard
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:52 pm

All you need is some 3 M Velcro command fasteners--long plastic zip ties- fishing line-shoe laces potted plant wire hangers- picture wire hangers- use one of those
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby LoraLizard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:38 pm

KarrieRee wrote:All you need is some 3 M Velcro command fasteners--long plastic zip ties- fishing line-shoe laces potted plant wire hangers- picture wire hangers- use one of those
Karrie


Okay i’ll stop at the store and probably do the velcro command strips, as far as the heating, it looks like i have my thermometer right under the basking and highest it goes it 91. I want to change to the 150w but is that too dramatic for a 40 gallon tank? I noticed she hasn’t been eating as much, usually she runs over to her food bowl right away but these passed few days she hasn’t but she’s still very active. The UVB tube will be up by tomorrow
LoraLizard
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:57 am

Is there a probe on the digital thermometer? I dont see one all I see is the reader itself? You want a probe sitting on that spot where she is sitting-- if its not the temp you need after getting that reading then replace w/ the 150 but you must have a actual temp of where she is sitting-
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/enviro ... gid=500202
Her UVB and the basking temps are going to play a huge role in her eating basking pooping and over all health -- get that all correct and you will see a change
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby LoraLizard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:57 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Is there a probe on the digital thermometer? I dont see one all I see is the reader itself? You want a probe sitting on that spot where she is sitting-- if its not the temp you need after getting that reading then replace w/ the 150 but you must have a actual temp of where she is sitting-
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/enviro ... gid=500202
Her UVB and the basking temps are going to play a huge role in her eating basking pooping and over all health -- get that all correct and you will see a change
Karrie


Does the probe always stay where she will be sitting? like does it sit on top of a decor piece? I also just set up my UVB tube using 5 velcro strips thags hold 16lbs, how does this setup look? heat lamp will go above it on top of the screen[Click image to enlarge]
LoraLizard
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 pm

It does not haft to -- its good to spot check every once in a while -- your UVB is full length of the tank? we recommend only 2/3rd of the tank - you may haft to cover up half of it - you dont want the dragon hiding from the UVB
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby LoraLizard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:00 pm

KarrieRee wrote:It does not haft to -- its good to spot check every once in a while -- your UVB is full length of the tank? we recommend only 2/3rd of the tank - you may haft to cover up half of it - you dont want the dragon hiding from the UVB
Karrie


Nope it’s not the whole tank the other side isn’t pictured, and i will order a thermometer. I’m just worried the bulb is too far back, will that make a difference?
LoraLizard
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Re: How to install terranium into inside of tank

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:00 am

No as long as the dragon can get directly under it w/ the proper distance -- but I would consider if you start having issues w/ hiding you might want to cover half of it up - they need to be able to sit in the tank w/ out having to hide from the UVB --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Enclosures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users