urgent temperature help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey I previously posted on here asking for advice on temperature. I finally got it figured out... and then the light fixture I had blew. So I bought a new one, and I'm back to square one trying to figure out how the heck to get the temperatures right. Sooo I have a 100 watt repti basking bulb, Im using the zoo med deep dome single light fixture. 40 gallon tank with a UVB tube mounted inside. The basking spot it maybe 5 iches off the ground (I will try to find pre-existing photos as I am not home right now), it reaches 118 F!!!! Ive tried a 75 w bulb and it doesn't even reach 90, stays in the mid 80's; I tried raising the basking spot but it only increases a few degrees. I have done endless research and I cant find any advice to help fix this. Would getting a lamp stand help resolve this? The only concern I have is that the cool end would become too hot ?

This is a bad pic bc it was right before I cleaned her tank, but the basking spot is in the back with the green bits on it
108262-6178193469.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of the whole tank so we can see better -- what was the bulb that blew and why did you not replace it w/ the same one if you had gotten it straightened out?
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I set our dome up on a couple of small pieces of 2x4 to raise it just a bit and lowered the basking spot temp. I keep just the edges of the wood blocks under the dome rim to keep from setting them on fire. ;)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that is not good ---- what size is your tank? and what is the bulb you have in their now I need height of the tank
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":etg2ro1d said:
Please post a pic of the whole tank so we can see better -- what was the bulb that blew and why did you not replace w/ the same one if you had gotten it straightened out?
Karrie

Both the bulb and the light fixture blew and no longer worked.The light fixture I had previously was discontinued. I got the same bulb that I had previously (100 watt repti basking bulb). Previously I had dual deep dome light fixture however I used only one side since I have a tube uvb light, and since I was discontinued I decided to get a single light, deep dome fixture. I have a 40 gallon tank, 36"Lx18"Wx18"H

This is an old picture, I changed some of the decor out but this is the only picture I have since I'm at work right now.
108262-6211989312.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so how are you getting the temp? NO stick ons and I did not see a digital probe thermometer-- your UVB your using now does it have a reflector on it? If not I recommend you getting one- - he is not getting any UVB w/ the way its mounted if the same way shown in the pic-- and your UVB should not be blowing out before you change it out-- they are only good for 6 months for a T 8 and 1 year for a T 5 ---
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":19xuplq7 said:
Ok so how are you getting the temp? NO stick ons and I did not see a digital probe thermometer-- your UVB your using now does it have a reflector on it? If not I recommend you getting one- - he is not getting any UVB w/ the way its mounted if the same way shown in the pic-- and your UVB should not be blowing out before you change it out-- they are only good for 6 months for a T 8 and 1 year for a T 5 ---
Karrie

My UVB didn't blow out, it was the basking bulb which I only had for 2 months and I've had my UVB tube for 1 month. On a post I posted months ago on a different account I was told not to use a reflector on my UVB because it blocked the UVB from its full potential additionally I asked my vet about it and he said that if it's mounted inside that it is fine... and I use a temp gun because I believe you told me on a different post to buy a temperature gun, which I did and that is how I get my temperature. My bearded dragon bites at the probe thermometer's wire so I took it out.

Additionally, I came here for help with my basking spot temperature. My tank is a 40 gallon, 18" in height. The 75 watt, like I previously stated, only gets the basking spot to the mid 80's to low 90's and leaves the cool end of the tank in the mid 70's. I just needed advice on how I could fix this issue.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so good a temp gun is good -- and naughty dragon for trying to eat the probe :roll: -- ok so about the UVB the reflector intensifies the UVB rays for one and two it directs the rays downward towards the dragon --- w/out it its basically doing no good - your rays are all over the tank so to speak w/ out getting to him --- here is website to get a reflector www.http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/miscellaneous-accessories/arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
You have a nice piece of decor if your still using the one under the basking light -- it would offer a heat gradient for him -- are you getting different readings off the piece ? And your using a 100 watt bulb and the 75 doesnt get hot enough? Correct?
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":6ga5h1d7 said:
Ok so good a temp gun is good -- and naughty dragon for trying to eat the probe :roll: -- ok so about the UVB the reflector intensifies the UVB rays for one and two it directs the rays downward towards the dragon --- w/out it its basically doing no good - your rays are all over the tank so to speak w/ out getting to him --- here is website to get a reflector www.http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/miscellaneous-accessories/arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
You have a nice piece of decor if your still using the one under the basking light -- it would offer a heat gradient for him -- are you getting different readings off the piece ? And your using a 100 watt bulb and the 75 doesnt get hot enough? Correct?
Karrie

I will definitely look into the reflectors!! I got a different piece for my dragon to bask on mainly because she got too big to lay on the piece that is shown in the picture of my entire set up. I can try and get my brother who is home rn to send a recent picture if you would like one ? and you are correct, I have a 100 watt bulb in right now and the 75 watt wasn't getting hot enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so it could be the piece thats absorbing too much heat -- what is it wood rock resin? And sometimes heat guns will not pick up correct heat temps off of certain decor material -- so w/ that being said we need to test the gun w/ a different material -- and I want you to put the probe back in first before you do anything else on the piece your using - thats gonna tell us if the gun is off --
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gf93ai8 said:
Ok so it could be the piece thats absorbing too much heat -- what is it wood rock resin? And sometimes heat guns will not pick up correct heat temps off of certain decor material -- so w/ that being said we need to test the gun w/ a different material -- and I want you to put the probe back in first before you do anything else on the piece your using - thats gonna tell us if the gun is off --
Karrie

Here is her tank modern day, I just read on the temp gun directions it said that shiny, semi gloss, and reflective surfaces can give off faulty readings and to put a piece of masking tape over a spot and leave for 45 minutes then point the temp gun. I believe it is made out of resin, both of the decor pieces. How long should I leave the probe in for an accurate reading ?
108262-1443888890.jpg

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2bz1dmto said:
10 minutes -- I have a piece of decor made out of resin from petsmart and it does not throw my heat gun off - here is the piece I have but when I got mine it was from All Living Things Thrive has taken over this piece now https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
here is Blaze on this same piece
97951-6857535513.jpg
Karrie

The probe was left in for 10 minutes and was at 107, however it kept going up after that, right now it's at 113, is that worrisome?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that is too hot --- you dont want it over 110--- so your temp gun is more than likely not off --- I would go down to the 75 watt do the same thing and see what the temp is w/ that then we will need to go from there - you may haft get a stand and raise the fixture so its hanging above the screen mesh if the 75 watt is not getting temps up -- I would also look at getting a piece of decor that gives a gradient heat rather than one spot for basking
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":33s260sb said:
Yes that is too hot --- you dont want it over 110--- so your temp gun is more than likely not off --- I would go down to the 75 watt do the same thing and see what the temp is w/ that then we will need to go from there - you may haft get a stand and raise the fixture so its hanging above the screen mesh if the 75 watt is not getting temps up -- I would also look at getting a piece of decor that gives a gradient heat rather than one spot for basking
Karrie

Thank you so much! I will switch the bulbs and let you know what it reads at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom