New beardie tank layout, need feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need feedback on my new 40 gallon setup before we move my (probably) 6-month beardie baby Spot from their 20 gallon tank.

I have a t5 10.0 reptisun bulb in a 24 inch fixture on top of the mesh. A 150w zoo med basking bulb in a deep dome bulb, and a ceramic heat emitter for cool side of tank when temps are too low ambiently. In basking spot temps are 100-105 with an infrared gun and around 70/75 on cool side of tank.

I will have light stands but for now the heat emitter and dome basking bulb are on top of mesh.

Is layout in terms of uvb/basking ok? The top of basking spot is 8 inches from the uvb. Are temps ok? Is the uvb being on top of mesh ok?

108680-2981534684.jpg
108680-7842218978.jpg

108680-426766156.jpg
108680-8207460763.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Cute guy! Your tank looks good-- you do need a piece of decor directly underneath the uvb bulb--- approx 8-10 inches-- basking temps are good - are you getting temps in different places on the platform? It's good to offer different temps so they can pick a spot they want for heat gradients 95-110 for juvie-/ adult- you should only need your che for night time if they are falling below 65-- you might want to raise cool side up to 80's during the day 70/75 is good for night--
Karrie

Roseandbaum

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1xjp9evy said:
Cute guy! Your tank looks good-- you do need a piece of decor directly underneath the uvb bulb--- approx 8-10 inches-- basking temps are good - are you getting temps in different places on the platform? It's good to offer different temps so they can pick a spot they want for heat gradients 95-110 for juvie-/ adult- you should only need your che for night time if they are falling below 65-- you might want to raise cool side up to 80's during the day 70/75 is good for night--
Karrie
The basking rock in the corner varies from low 90s to 110. The uvb also covers that rock—do I need another higher piece of decor or is it enough that uvb also covers basking mountain?
Here’s a picture from below
108680-2941676118.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As long as he can get under that UVB and is approx 8-10 inches your good - change out the UVB in one year from when you installed it -- I usually change mine out about a month before its due -- you should have a happy little beardie
Karrie

Roseandbaum

Original Poster
KarrieRee":x3ih1mug said:
As long as he can get under that UVB and is approx 8-10 inches your good - change out the UVB in one year from when you installed it -- I usually change mine out about a month before its due -- you should have a happy little beardie
Karrie
Thanks so much!

There is one small zone on the basking rock that is 120..is that ok? I’m assuming they’ll choose the temp that is best for them. Also: should I switch out for a 100w bulb once Spot gets older and needs lower temps?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My guess he will not sit in that 120 spot- trial and error- w/ bulbs--- you still want a gradient heat of 95-110 - if he has that option he will sit where he wants to bask-- some decor pieces offer that option
Karrie

Roseandbaum

Original Poster
KarrieRee":g3ni55x8 said:
My guess he will not sit in that 120 spot- trial and error- w/ bulbs--- you still want a gradient heat of 95-110 - if he has that option he will sit where he wants to bask-- some decor pieces offer that option
Karrie
Ok great thank you!!

Do you recommend any more decor types? Also, just confirming that uvb bulb is ok on top of screen because I’d rather not mount to inside and it’s what I have in the hopes I wouldn’t have to ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom