Having trouble finding a big enough tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxxzy

Recently I’ve started to look for a tank upgrade for my bearded dragon. He is currently in a 40 gallon, and he’s about a year old. I have 54 inches of space in length and a maximum of 18 inches depth that I can use, and I’m looking for something that costs no more than $350, but I’ll go a little higher if need be. I would make one myself and have it fit to the dimensions of the dresser I have him on, but I have no idea where I’d even start. Not too sure about gallon equivalents either. I’ve heard that a 48” tank is 100 gallons in one place, and 65 gallons in another. Any help is appreciated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the gallons, focus more on the actual dimensions of your tank. The space you have available will be a great size for a dragon.

I would suggest checking out the DIY section of this site. I made a sticky at the top of the section with links to a bunch of members builds. Looking through them should give you a decent idea how to go about making your own. Some of them are decently detailed to allow someone else to follow along.

-Brandon

galaxxzy

Original Poster
Claudiusx":37dm0t7f said:
I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the gallons, focus more on the actual dimensions of your tank. The space you have available will be a great size for a dragon.

I would suggest checking out the DIY section of this site. I made a sticky at the top of the section with links to a bunch of members builds. Looking through them should give you a decent idea how to go about making your own. Some of them are decently detailed to allow someone else to follow along.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon, thanks for responding. Would it be worth it to get a bigger tank? I’ve heard that adults need bigger tanks than what he’s got at the moment. He sort of likes lounging about all day on his hammock unless I move him, so I think he may be bored of the space in his tank and wants more space to move (?).

I’m planning on making a grout cave sort of thing in his tank, so I just want to be sure that I’m not going to need to buy a new tank and do it all again.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Yes you do want a bigger enclosure for an adult.

As was noted gallon size is really more of an indication than what you are looking to match. As an exaple a 4'x2'x2' is 8 square feet of floor space, but 16 cubic feet with the height. This roughly equates to 120 gallons as each cubic foot is rounded to 7.5 gallons. Now if you had a 4'x2'x18" taking 6" off the height you would have the same 8 square feet of floor space and 12 cubic feet. This would be roughly 90 gallons.

For either example the usable floor space is the same, the difference comes in that the 2' height allows for more vertical decor like a rock ledge as a basking spot. It can still be done in the 18" tall but wouldn't be setup as high.

Your 54" x 18" available space would allow about 6.75 square feet of floor space (about 85% of the space a 4'x2' provides. Depending on height you choose some nice spots to climb and bask can make that rather nice area for your beardie. With that said I would also suggest checking the DIY section as it will help you provide more space without spending as much as a pre-built.

I have built my enclosures and can hep you out with the process once you know what it is you are going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom