Need help with enclosure

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Need help with enclosure

Postby stac06 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:32 am

[Click image to enlarge]


Just got my baby his new home. Unfortunately though I had to put him back in his old one. The temp was reading 92 but Sage was not warm at all. I have a 150w bulb. I was reading about mercury vapor bulbs and how they get very hot.. would that work better? Was also thinking since it is a mesh cage about lining the back and sides with pvc, plexiglass, or acrylic boards to retain heat better? Im new to all this and i want to get him back in his new home asap cause he was loving it
stac06
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 am

You need to get a piece of decor that sits closer up to the basking bulb -- your tank looks really high also the UVB looks like a T 8? Am I correct? If it is please get it inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb --- distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- what size is this tank -- it looks like a 30 gallon?
Petsmart has good decor pieces
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 these is a nice piece it lets them bask at different heat temps also known as a heat gradient
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 these make nice places for them to sleep on the cool side of the tank
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11732
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby stac06 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:38 am

The dimensions of it are 47×24×24. It is a reptisun 10.0. And yes I will be getting it on the inside soon as possible. Just spent so much on him have to wait till I get paid again


KarrieRee wrote:You need to get a piece of decor that sits closer up to the basking bulb -- your tank looks really high also the UVB looks like a T 8? Am I correct? If it is please get it inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb --- distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- what size is this tank -- it looks like a 30 gallon?
Petsmart has good decor pieces
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 these is a nice piece it lets them bask at different heat temps also known as a heat gradient
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 these make nice places for them to sleep on the cool side of the tank
Karrie
stac06
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:53 am

So the tank is a 120 gallon-- boy was I off -- ok so the UVB should be a T5 for a 24" tank --- that T 8 is not going to be adequate for a 120 gallon tank -- just make due w/ the T 8 for now but you are going to want to upgrade to the T 5 bulb --- it would still need to go into the tank and distance for that would be 12-15 inches --- here are some things you can hang w/
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers-- fishing line-- shoe laces long ones -- you will need to buy another fixture for a T 5 bulb
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11732
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby stac06 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 am

Thank you. I figured I was going to have to change sizes

KarrieRee wrote:So the tank is a 120 gallon-- boy was I off -- ok so the UVB should be a T5 for a 24" tank --- that T 8 is not going to be adequate for a 120 gallon tank -- just make due w/ the T 8 for now but you are going to want to upgrade to the T 5 bulb --- it would still need to go into the tank and distance for that would be 12-15 inches --- here are some things you can hang w/
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers-- fishing line-- shoe laces long ones -- you will need to buy another fixture for a T 5 bulb
Karrie
stac06
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby stac06 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:32 pm

I just flipped his branch around also so its now higher for him to bask😊

KarrieRee wrote:You need to get a piece of decor that sits closer up to the basking bulb -- your tank looks really high also the UVB looks like a T 8? Am I correct? If it is please get it inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb --- distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- what size is this tank -- it looks like a 30 gallon?
Petsmart has good decor pieces
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 these is a nice piece it lets them bask at different heat temps also known as a heat gradient
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 these make nice places for them to sleep on the cool side of the tank
Karrie
stac06
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby AHBD » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:11 pm

If it's all mesh then lots of heat is escaping so your idea of putting plexiglass or something around at least 3 sides is correct. Where did you get a mesh cage ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 25703
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby stac06 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:19 pm

I found it on ebay. I kind of rigged it right now till I can get the pvc or something. One of the beardie groups I am in one of the admins. suggested wrapping the three sides with foil... it works!🤣 I ordered a heat emitter that is coming tomorrow


AHBD wrote:If it's all mesh then lots of heat is escaping so your idea of putting plexiglass or something around at least 3 sides is correct. Where did you get a mesh cage ?
stac06
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: Need help with enclosure

Postby AHBD » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:25 pm

Yeah, anything will work and foil is a good idea as long as it doesn't reflect the light too much from all directions in to his eyes. Otherwise plastic, paneling, linoleum, etc could be used.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 25703
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Enclosures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Maddy5150