Lighting

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Lighting

Postby thezizzer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi,

I am confused about lighting requirements. My beardie's enclosure measures 18 inches tall, 35 long, 18 inches deep. I can't remember gallon size. What is the appropriate wattage I should be using for her heat lamp based on the size of her enclosure?

Thanks!
thezizzer
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Lighting

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Mine is about the same size. The heat lamp you need will vary quite a bit so you may need to test out some different wattages. Some folks have good luck with a 60w halogen flood light. I use an 80w halogen flood light on a dimming thermostat so maybe somewhere in that range is a good place to start. It really comes down to the surface temp readings you get with each light. Avoid the super energy efficient ones because they don't tend to put out a lot of heat.

For UVB, a 24'' T5 is a good match for an enclosure that size. This is what I use and it's excellent. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures