Non-adhesive shelf liner giving off toxic fumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for a while I noticed that a funky chemical like smell would permeate my room whenever my bearded dragon's heating lamps turned on. Turns out it was the non-adhesive shelf liner, which was probably reacting with the UV and heat in the tank. Because of this, I am unsure if this non-adhesive shelf liner is an appropriate substrate for a bearded dragon. I have since removed it and placed an old linen towel in there until I can figure out what I am going to place in there instead. I am considering using some of those compressed paper pellets that are used for small animals such as rabbits, ferrets, chinchillas and the like. The pellets appear to be large enough so that it won't be consumed easily by a bearded dragon, it is paper, which seems to be safe to use, and its 99% dust free. Also, soiled pellets would be easy to remove because they would darken and increase in size slightly when wet. I just wanted to know what you all thought about A. the non-adhesive shelf liner off gassing in a possibly toxic manner, and B. my choice to use 100% recycled news paper pellets for the substrate.

Thanks for reading!

Sabotender

Original Poster
Really? Not a single response?

I guess its true that you must take all recommendations with a grain of salt, because everyone wants to be a professional know-it-all.

I think its best to treat all threads that go on and on about what lamps are appropriate and which substrate you should/should not use as 'YMMV', because not all dragons are the same. You can do a quick youtube search with guys who have been owners for years and they have all their dragons on sand and they do just fine with zero impaction problems.

With that being said, I hope that people would STOP recommending Non-Adhesive shelf liner as appropriate material for a cage as it does not react well to extended periods of UV, light, and heat. I think the best course of action moving forward is to reach out to my friendly neighborhood veterinarian when it comes to things like this.

I purchased a bag of the compressed recycled newspaper pellets and my bearded dragon seems to enjoy it, and never once have I seen her attempt to eat gobs of it.

No one needs to respond, I just thought that with something this important that concerned dragon owners would want to know more. With the fumes that were coming off that shelf liner that were strong enough for me, a human, to detect, I can't imagine what sort of stress that was putting on my bearded dragon, who had to live directly on it.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry I read your post but wasnt aware of issues w/ a smell of the shelf liner giving off a smell - you were the first person who has ever had this issue that I have seen and wasnt quite sure how to respond --- some of the others on here that have had more experience w/ the liner itself should have responded -- I went w/ the tile instead of the liner so that is why I never responded -- can you tell us exactly what you bought for a liner ---
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the more experienced posters to reply, so don't fret too much over that. That said, I'll put my not-as-experienced two cents worth in. :)

I would agree that in this case the shelf liner is not a good choice. From the sound of what you're saying, I'd guess that it was melting... or the adhesive was offgassing. Either way, you did right by removing it.

I know the paper pellets you're talking about, and I'm just leery of any loose substrate for dragons; my Figment will try to taste pretty much anything new, so for him, I wouldn't risk it. I'm with KarrieRee - I put in ceramic tiles because of ease of cleaning and hoping the surface will be good for keeping the nails blunted (not so much, thus far). They really aren't that expensive; I tiled my 40BR for about $20. But you're also right that there's no one set answer for any individual dragon - people continue to try new things, or tweak old ways of doing things to make them better, and as you said, YMMV. Your vet might well have a good alternative to suggest, too.

Good luck with your new substrate!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Shelf liner is made out of different materials too. Just a few weeks ago someone came here asking if the shelf liner they found would be suitable. But when actually looking into it and its composition, it was quickly determined that it would not be a good material to use as what it was made of was not a suitable material for what it would be exposed to in these types of enclosures.

I've used basically every substrate available in my 20 years with dragons, including calcium sand, crushed walnut, shelf liner, etc. I had no issues with the shelf liner I used.

I think the recommendation is fine, what isnt fine is people blindly following or assuming that all items/lights/materials are made equal. We give suggestions, we dont try to give demands here. Or at least I dont.

I suggest always doing your research and not taking advice with a grain of salt, but rather take all advice as a tool to help you further your own research and your own decision.

That being said, I would still prefer non adhesive shelf liner over recycled paper pellets. But of course, it would be after making sure the type of non adhesive shelf liner was made of an appropriate material.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom