Need Adhesive for STONE/SLATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Does anyone know a good adhesive for stone-to-stone (specifically slate)?
I tried This to That, which is usually a pretty good goto, however they don't specifically include stone among their choices. :(

I... resist epoxy only because my experiences with it have been abysmal (my fault).
Cyanoacrylate might work, but whatever I use, I'll need a LOT of, and all I find are very small bottles/tubes.
I also tried something called Fix-a-Floor, which says it's good for stone, but it took 24 hrs just to set!
At that rate, my enclosure won't be ready until 20gopoopyourself.

I'm hoping for something that is available in a caulking/silicone type tube, and initial set time of a few minutes.

Of course, it needs to be beardie-safe when cured! :)

Maybe I'm dreaming... :roll:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
And your using adhesive why? I would leave the tile loose if thats what your doing so you can pull it to clean --- I put a thicker paper towel under my tile to catch the urate so I pull tile clean it and then replace paper towel underneath
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Honestly any good silicone adhesive or construction adhesive will work. I'm pretty sure most home improvement stores have masonry compatible adhesives but the types I mentioned should work.

You want something decently thick bodied.

-Brandon

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You could use the non adhesive shelf liner under the tile. I use it and have some slate tiles on top.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2xr5lg12 said:
And your using adhesive why?
I'm building decor out of single slate tiles (2"x2", 2"x4", 4"x4")
At the moment, I'm working on a curved stair.
Stairs will be attached to basking stones/platforms.
The stone assemblies will be removable for cleaning.
Later, I'll be building hides and small planters for B-safe succulents (Yes, I know they'll likely be eaten/ripped out--we have extras! :D )

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1jb2l0mh said:
Honestly any good silicone adhesive or construction adhesive will work.
That's what I thought. Well, they didn't. :dontknow: The silicone (GE #1 recommended here) wasn't strong enough--it's adhesive enough as a sealant, but not as a glue. Another GP construction adhesive I tried didn't work either. The min. wage "pros" at the Despot recommended something that specifically says "stone" on the label. As in the OP, I did that, but it takes too friggin' long to set.

I'm hoping someone who has specific experience attaching stone to stone has a recommendation.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MrSpectrum":1ezw7ehc said:
I'm hoping someone who has specific experience attaching stone to stone has a recommendation.

I do, but it's not with what you're after. But if you want some good mortar suggestions I can give you some lol :p

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Did you see the VOC? Maybe it's safe after full curing--I'll check into it further next time I visit the Despot (the Amazon descrip is non-existent), but IME that kind of product isn't terribly concerned about non-toxicity (it does carry a prop 65 warning); sometimes they even make a marketing point about stopping/preventing bugs & weeds.

Ah, the Despot description is much better--says it can be used in all 50 states (then why the prop 65 warning?) :? Ahh... contains carcinogens! :shock:
Also says it bonds to slate.

This will require further inquiry. Thanks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Prop 65 is a joke... but dont get me started on that. I'm in the epicenter of it all... LOL.
It has made sign makers some money though.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom