Springtails dying out in Vivarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaronPink

Hey fellas, I’ve been having a bit of a springtail problem in my bioactive vivarium. Every time I bring over a colony on the now-springtail-virgin soil they die out. Luckily I’ve been keeping a separate culture so once it grows big enough I just migrate a chunk of them over to the vivarium. They’re definitely given enough moisture pockets (under feeder, etc) to stay hydrated. After doing some researching I think the wood lice colony that I unintentionally started (I put like 10 woodlice in there thinking it’d be cool to watch them eat the dead leaves and they reproduced like crazy) are eating springtail eggs which effectively kills them off in a single generation. Right now I’m wondering if I can add a “safe spot” for the springtails by having a small plastic or glass barrier so the woodlice can’t climb up it but the springtails can jump over it. Any other ideas to help the springtails re-colonize? Also, side question, what cleanup crews can I use to get to any mold growing deep in the substrate? I’ve noticed tiny pockets of mold that, while currently small, are worrying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom