Heating problem for 40 gallon enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a roughly 6 month old beardie, she grew up in a 20 gallon tank, but I decided to splurge and get a 40 gallon one. I have two heating lamps, a regular 100W lamp and a 150W one that gets much hotter. I've really only used the 100W exclusively, only using the 150W as a backup if the bulb burns out on the other.

In the 20 gallon tank, the regular 100W got the basking spot to 100 degrees no problem, the 150W got it up to 110, but my beardie always avoided it and either hid under something or moved to the cooler side of the cage until I turned it off and put on the 100W.

The problem is, the 100W lamp only gets the basking spot in my new 40 gallon tank up to 90 degrees. The only way to raise it to at to least 100-105, which is what everyone says the juveniles need, is to use the more intense 150W. But even in the new tank, my beardie still hides under her platform or stays away from the basking spot if the 150W is on. The only time she'll bask on her platform is if the regular 100W is being used. I can only conclude she doesn't like the 150W lamp (???)

I have two thermometers above the basking spot, a stick on one and one with a dial that measures temperature and humidity. They both show seem to work well, as they'll usually register the same temp, so there doesn't seem to be a discrepancy in measuring the temps. There's also another thermometer on the cool side, but my room has never dipped below 75 degrees, regardless of season. There's a UVB bulb right next to the heating lamp.

Do some beardies prefer their basking spot to stay at 90 degrees? Is it unhealthy to not give them constant 100-100 degrees daily for 12 hours during their waking time? Forgive my cluelessness please, this is my first beardie, I've learned alot but I'm still learning things daily.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
harshstonewhite83":2we9sr9c said:
I have a roughly 6 month old beardie, she grew up in a 20 gallon tank, but I decided to splurge and get a 40 gallon one. I have two heating lamps, a regular 100W lamp and a 150W one that gets much hotter. I've really only used the 100W exclusively, only using the 150W as a backup if the bulb burns out on the other.

In the 20 gallon tank, the regular 100W got the basking spot to 100 degrees no problem, the 150W got it up to 110, but my beardie always avoided it and either hid under something or moved to the cooler side of the cage until I turned it off and put on the 100W.

The problem is, the 100W lamp only gets the basking spot in my new 40 gallon tank up to 90 degrees. The only way to raise it to at to least 100-105, which is what everyone says the juveniles need, is to use the more intense 150W. But even in the new tank, my beardie still hides under her platform or stays away from the basking spot if the 150W is on. The only time she'll bask on her platform is if the regular 100W is being used. I can only conclude she doesn't like the 150W lamp (???)

Too hot.

Air temperature NOT HOTTER THAN 40 degC.
Refer to this for the reasons : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516
in particular
icjwn4.png

I have two thermometers above the basking spot, a stick on one and one with a dial that measures temperature and humidity. They both show seem to work well, as they'll usually register the same temp, so there doesn't seem to be a discrepancy in measuring the temps. There's also another thermometer on the cool side, but my room has never dipped below 75 degrees, regardless of season. There's a UVB bulb right next to the heating lamp.

Do some beardies prefer their basking spot to stay at 90 degrees? Is it unhealthy to not give them constant 100-100 degrees daily for 12 hours during their waking time? Forgive my cluelessness please, this is my first beardie, I've learned alot but I'm still learning things daily.
Get rid of the dial & strip type thermometers , they are rubbish and very inaccurate.
Could be 20% out.

This is the type of thermometer you need : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-Digital-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-FISH-TANK-Temperature-AU/143006805732?hash=item214bdeaee4:m:mxl4kU6Rf1K5w7Fe-Is74rg&var=441972879710

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The first thing you need to do is go get a Infrared heat gun---- from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes - around $10 ---- then you need to get an accurate basking temp of that 100 watt bulb and the 150 watt bulb-- if she is not sitting under the 150 which is my guess it is too hot-- the stick ons do not give accurate temps and are usually way off-------------- your getting air temp and not the actual temp of where she is sitting--- after you get an actual temp of her basking spot go from there --- but yes she needs her temp to 105-110-- if you haft to move some decor so she is higher to the heat lamp -- you need to point the gun having it inside the tank 2-4 inches from spot-- let us know how it works out
Karrie

harshstonewhite83

Original Poster
UPDATE: I purchased a digital thermometer with the remote sensor and also a temperature gun. You guys are right the sticky and dial thermometers were about 8-10 degrees off. I also got the basking place up a little bit higher. The digital thermo reads its about 98. The temperature gun reads at about 2 to 4 inches from the spot that its at 103-105. So I guess really the basking spot isn't too low...

Thanks for the help everyone. Any more comments and suggestions are still welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom