Tank Settup acceptable???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!!

So- I know my tank isn't the closest thing to being as gorgeous as a lot of other people- But I'm doing the best with what I can afford.

So this is Pancake's set up-

102596-214641570.jpg

It's a 75 gallon tank, I have a Solar-glo lamp and bulb that I just learned I spent WAY too much money on. His temperature on his basking spot nears 100, under the bulb it's 108, then fades out to the rest of the tank from 80 to the furthest corner of 70-68.

He sleeps in a seperate 10 gallon all burrowed and snuggled into my fleece blanket at night because he's a spoiled brat and won't sleep in what I have for him. ((And I like waking up next to him every day.))

It's been -50 out, today is finally warming up into -30s so my room has been too cold for my liking. Fortunately space heaters exist.

Honestly I'd like to save my money and someday make his tank look pretty-- but that won't be for a long time. So I want to make sure that what I can do for him now is enough to make him happy. c:

If I'm missing anything important, please let me know!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where is his UVB? He needs a Reptison 10.0 T8 or a Arcadia 10.0 T5 mounted inside the tank like 6-12 inches from where he sits-- that is crucial - it has been cold here same -65 you can buy a heat emitter CHE w/ a 100 watt bulb no light for the tank that will keep it warm - I have one stays on 24/7 in winter keeps tank around 70 or so when basking lights are off - the basking bulb I have is a Exo Terro 100 watt sits on top of my 120 gallon tank which is a Zen Habitat-- it has bamboo sides and back so it stays warmer than the glass tanks - 108 is a little warm it would be best around 90-100 or so ... also I noticed hes on the floor- that is a cold area can you get him up on a dresser or something?

karrie

SwervesBar

Original Poster
KarrieRee":289omgl2 said:
Where is his UVB? He needs a Reptison 10.0 T8 or a Arcadia 10.0 T5 mounted inside the tank like 6-12 inches from where he sits-- that is crucial - it has been cold here same -65 you can buy a heat emitter CHE w/ a 100 watt bulb no light for the tank that will keep it warm - I have one stays on 24/7 in winter keeps tank around 70 or so when basking lights are off - the basking bulb I have is a Exo Terro 100 watt sits on top of my 120 gallon tank which is a Zen Habitat-- it has bamboo sides and back so it stays warmer than the glass tanks - 108 is a little warm it would be best around 90-100 or so ... also I noticed hes on the floor- that is a cold area can you get him up on a dresser or something?

karrie

Hello Kerrie!!! Thanks for replying!!!

I have a Solar-glo bulb in a deep dome dish- It's a mercury bulb so it emits UVB rays and heat all in one! I made sure to read up on research for them- They aren't the best I guess because they're very sensitive to being bumped or moved around, but they get the job done.

That bamboo sounds really fancy, I bet your beardie loves it!!!

I just saw that people were using those, I think they call them CHE for short?? I try to keep my room at 70 sometimes above because of all my insects, But I'll certainly look into those ceramic heaters.

OH yeah he's on the floor. ^^' I'm short. Really short. And I wanted to keep his cage as clean as possible- with as tall as his tank is already it works perfectly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I still recommend changing uvb out- it needs to be inside the tank about 6-12 inches from him- its health concerns I am worried about- the floor is cold- you can always look for a dresser or stand your height places like savors good will or even garage sales-- flooring can be changed to shelf liner non adhesive or ceramic slated tile - very easy clean up w/ vinegar/ water in spray bottle and paper towels- can be bought at home depot and its cheap! Also infrared heat gun for taking temps bought at Wal-Mart home depot for $10
Karrie

SwervesBar

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3aa0jmj7 said:
I still recommend changing uvb out- it needs to be inside the tank about 6-12 inches from him- its health concerns I am worried about- the floor is cold- you can always look for a dresser or stand your height places like savors good will or even garage sales-- flooring can be changed to shelf liner non adhesive or ceramic slated tile - very easy clean up w/ vinegar/ water in spray bottle and paper towels- can be bought at home depot and its cheap! Also infrared heat gun for taking temps bought at Wal-Mart home depot for $10
Karrie

I've seen a lot of people using tile- did you use caulk?? Just wondering if they're a permanent fix on the tank or if you slide them together and fit them nice and snug?

I have a stand downstairs I'll just have to take apart and put it back together.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No caulking it will haft to be cut to tank size so you need to measure the tank and figure out at the store on the size of the tile your looking at -- also it will haft to be cut so you need to find some one to cut it for you-- or the shelf liner is good to and I think you can cut that w/ scissors -- you dont want jagged edges w / the tile cuz then it can cut him -- also if you use tile you can lay paper towels under the tile to catch the runny watery urate and its easier to clean just pull the tile and replace w/ clean paper towel -- when you cut the tile it will fit snug so you need to leave a little lip or cut on the side corner etc so you can get it to pull like w/ tweezers or something that you can lift corner-- here is a picture of Hiccups tank - I have sinced move the UVB to the left side of his tank in front of the basking light- I had it in the middle of tank and wouldnt go sit under it and the fake log is a favorite place for him so I moved the UVB above it so hes not sitting under it when hes on that fake log

Karrie
97951-2715037363.jpg

codegreen

With ours, the wife and I went to home depot to get some of the vinyl peel and stick tile. Easy to cut - use a box cutter, then simply peel and stick! Great for ensuring no gaps when he poops.

SOME can be too flat (slick for them to walk on) we found a textured one that he does well on. I think we were able to buy ours in singles (usually come in a box of X amount). Been about a year now and holding up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom