Yes...another T5 10.0 or 5.0 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midman03

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster here. I need some help regarding which bulb to use. I have my beardie set up in a 40g breeder right now and just put a new piece of wood in. Unfortunately, I believe my current UVB setup is too strong. I have the Reptisun t5HO 10.0 running right now on top of the screen. I measured the distance between Loki's head and the bulb and it measures about 5 1/2" to 6" when he is standing tall.

From what I am reading, I believe this is too close. My question is, should I run the 5.0 bulb instead? I have the 5.0 that came with my Zoomed fixture. He has multiple places where he can get different levels of UVB. I also have a t8 fixture with a 10.0 bulb if that would be even better.

Ps. would love to upload some pictures to give some visuals...how do I do this? Just upload to a site and post the link? Appreciate the help!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Can you put the light on a stand to get a few more inches? I always recommend moving a stranger lamp further, over a weaker lamp closer.

While it’s true wild dragons get routinely exposed to higher UV levels than our pets, they have more options for regulating that exposure. Also, living that close to a high insensity artifical light can be uncomfortable for reasons outside of uv exposure.

Midman03

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I'll try to find something to lift the light a little. Any suggestions on what people use to elevate a zoomed reptisun hood? On the other hand, if I left the hood resting on the lid, should I switch to the 5.0?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I tend to agree with a strong light further away (for basking too). In this case I think it will be fine as it is. I've tested that bulb and fixture with a 40g breeder with mesh top and it works very well. Just keep the UVB over the basking area and maybe cheated a bit to the back or front. That will create an extra gradient forward or backwards. They can tolerate higher UVB exposure for limited time so it's more a matter of creating a nice gradient so they can go to a high basking spot and get intense UVB for a while but then retreat to lower UVB levels as they wish. They are very good at self regulation so it's up to us to provide them with plenty of variety.

Midman03

Original Poster
Thank you, very much, for the help! It's relieving to hear that I can stick with the 10.0. As you can see in the images, he has many places/levels to go in order to self-regulate.

I've become worried about his eyes becoming irritated since he is always closing/squinting them when basking/laying in various places...almost like he is always tired. He is very active during the day though and eats sooo much, it's hard to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom