Is sand ok or harmful in their enclosures? Digging...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoTaco

Hi again from a newbie. :)

Rocco (he or she ...posted pic in photo section hoping for answers) is digging on the lanoliam we put down- got rid of that carpet the terrarium came with..much cleaner. He/she gets under the big rock and digs away at night. Why do they dig? I read sand is something they like to dig in—in fact the pet store had them in it. THEN I heard it’s dangerous because they can get it in their digestive track. Anyone use sand? Good? Bad? Thanks in advanced! :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I would highly recommend against sand for many reasons, Such as,
>Particle substrates harbour bacteria and sometimes fungus spores,
>It has a risk of impaction,
>It's very hard to spot clean,
>It smells,
>and it can stain the skin on beardies.

There's many other reasons why not to use particle substrates.

The linoleum you currently have is way better than sand or any other type of particle substrate. Since she is digging a lot I would recommend putting some fleece scraps on the bottom of her hide box or terrarium floor since they're soft and easy to clean. Much safer than sand plus your beardie gets to snuggle up in something soft for the night. :)

Here's a few links on previous posts about sand and it's dangers:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=194984&hilit=sand+is+the+devil
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=240397#p1841799
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=234635#p1805547
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=241396#p1848240
This was just a few of them.. There's about a thousand more where that came from.

I Hope that this was imformative! :D

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Also most pet stores unfortunately don't entirely care for reptiles very well. :( They make lots of mistakes in herp husbandry.

For example, The last time I went to petco they had baby beardies on calci-sand and with a red bulb on (both are very bad for beardies), They had a Chinese water dragon on for sale that had severe MBD and no UVB, They had many overcrowded tanks, and there was a 10 gal tank with 5-6 adult crested geckos and two of them had many bite marks and scratches on them. :cry:

Unfortunately it's just the way some shops run their places and care more for the money instead of the animals. :(

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Sand or any particle substrate is not good for bearded dragons.
Other than impaction it can cause prolapses, joint issues, eye infections, provides a place for tons of bacteria to breed, so not very clean even if you do spot clean it, it can cause scale rot sometimes, it also can cause fungal infections. And of course death.

Unlike a tegu, or a BTS, or anything like those species that can be kept on particle substrates, beardies can not because they are so prone to these things. Those other species are generally on correct substrates as well, which sand isn't very good for any type of animal and people always assume desert equals a sand filled wasteland.

Beardies dig in any substrate, can't exactly explain it entirely. My beardies rarely dig, only time I see any of them dig is if one is having eggs or in the case of my adult male if someone pulled him out of his hide and he still wants to rest, he will then go to his hide dig a bit and then lay down. I suppose in his case it's a comfort thing.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Short answer is NO.

Sand is
>>> an impaction hazard
>>> and the perfect medium for culturing fungi, bacteria and viruses when damp
>>> is impossible to keep clean.

And despite the claims made by some , there is very little sandy desert in the natural range of bearded dragons and bearded dragons do not need to be able to dig unless preparing to lay eggs.

IMO best substrates for a bearded dragon are
>> kitchen grade paper towels
>> news print
>> loose laid ceramic tiles
>> pavers

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
VenusAndSaturn":3dhutcqb said:
Sand or any particle substrate is not good for bearded dragons.
Other than impaction it can cause prolapses, joint issues, eye infections, provides a place for tons of bacteria to breed, so not very clean even if you do spot clean it, it can cause scale rot sometimes, it also can cause fungal infections. And of course death.

Unlike a tegu, or a BTS, or anything like those species that can be kept on particle substrates, beardies can not because they are so prone to these things. Those other species are generally on correct substrates as well, which sand isn't very good for any type of animal and people always assume desert equals a sand filled wasteland.

Beardies dig in any substrate, can't exactly explain it entirely. My beardies rarely dig, only time I see any of them dig is if one is having eggs or in the case of my adult male if someone pulled him out of his hide and he still wants to rest, he will then go to his hide dig a bit and then lay down. I suppose in his case it's a comfort thing.
I Agree. Also thanks for pointing out those other risks. I knew I would forget some. :study:

and If your beardie does want todig just go to a craft store and buy some fleece scraps. They're inexpensive and easy to clean and are much safer for beardies to dig in.

RoccoTaco

Original Poster
I can’t thank you all enough. They shouldn’t be allowed to sell it! Wtheck!? So glad I came here first! :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
RoccoTaco":2cffxwkw said:
I can’t thank you all enough. They shouldn’t be allowed to sell it! Wtheck!? So glad I came here first! :)
You're welcome.

and I Agree, But unfortunately it's just a company's way of getting you to throw them money and invest in things that are either useless or even harmful. :? :x :angry5: and unfortunately most major herp supply companies care more about the money then they do the animal most of the time. :angry5:

Is your beardie still digging?

-HippieLizards.

RoccoTaco

Original Poster
Yes- she is digging every night under her wooden rock on the lanolium lol. Normal? These pet product companies pet stores -just smh that profit is more important than a living creatures well-being!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Well if she's digging at night then She's probably trying to get comfy.

and I Actually did once buy from a place that was just like that (although it was before I knew just how terrible they are).. even worse actually because they don't care for the animals at all and have overcrowded, too small tanks, some tanks with dead animals in it, many sickly animals and all were without heat or uvb and all were on sand or walnut shell. There was even a 7 Ft black caiman crocodillian in a 9X9X9 fenced off enclosure with nothing but hay and a single heat bulb. No water or anything. There were many other horrible things there. :angry5:

It's the 'rescue' that I got Thor from. :angry5: They really do care more about the money (even though they claim to be "non profit") then they do the animals. I'm currently trying to get them shut down.

I Just don't know why some companies will care more for how much they make instead of the animals well-being :angry5: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom