UVB T5 10.0 Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

How many inches away should by BD be from my T5 10.O lamp? I have a screen mesh lid (right now). I am considering cutting the mesh to let the full UVB light in. How many inches away WITH the screen and how many inches WITHOUT the screen mesh in the way?

I have a 40 GAL BR and a 36" tube.

thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The amount of UVB that is intercepted depends on how fine the mesh is really. Generally about 10'' away through a mesh top is good if the T5 fixture has a reflector behind the bulb. Without a mesh top in the way the best positioning is about 12-14'' or so. It's OK to allow some branches and things to be closer as long as there is easy access to areas away from the bulb as well.

sparrowstune

Original Poster
CooperDragon":5zmyxi40 said:
The amount of UVB that is intercepted depends on how fine the mesh is really. Generally about 10'' away through a mesh top is good if the T5 fixture has a reflector behind the bulb. Without a mesh top in the way the best positioning is about 12-14'' or so. It's OK to allow some branches and things to be closer as long as there is easy access to areas away from the bulb as well.

Thank you very much for the reply. So if I build a beardie home - the UVB can be mounted 10" from the basking spot as long as there are hides and places to cool down?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah just offer variety so they can move around easily and self regulate. That's why I usually recommend a 24'' fixture so there is high intensity UVB over the basking area but little to no UVB in other areas of the tank.

sparrowstune

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2c2ydbmx said:
Yeah just offer variety so they can move around easily and self regulate. That's why I usually recommend a 24'' fixture so there is high intensity UVB over the basking area but little to no UVB in other areas of the tank.

Sounds good thank you! It's too late because I already bought the 36". But I will take your advice!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 36'' is fine too. You can set it forward or back in the tank a bit so there is a gradient along the width of the tank. I have mine set to the front of the tank so there is less UVB along the back of the basking site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom