Bio active setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It really isnt best to get a bioactive setup for this species unless you have a large large enclosure. Even a 4x2x2 or 75 gallon wouldn't work very well for it as its still a small enclosure. It would be very hard to maintain properly and not hurt your beardie and give it a fungal infection or impaction.

I would suggest no less than a 6 foot long, by 3-4 feet high and 2 feet wide enclosure for bioactive. This would give you enough space to make a more rocky area that would be more natural than just particle substrate everywhere. It would lessen the chance of fungal infections as well as the beardie would be able to escape from the bacteria breeding grounds.

If you add plants make sure they dont need high humidity or watering, they dont and cant hurt your beardie in anyway and can provide a good snack if your beardie eats it. Also would be wise to make sure it cant be trampled down.

I wouldnt put a beardie less than a year or two in this type of setup either as it may have problems finding its way around in such a large enclosure and could easily die from starvation, impaction, and fungal infections when younger.

I truly suggest if you can not provide that size of enclosure you toss the bioactive idea as in a smaller enclosure it would be harder for the beardie to escape the bacteria breeding grounds.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
For bioactive no.
For its entire life no, as it only comes up to around 33 gallons. Bare minimum is 40 gallons for a full grown adult, 20 gallons is bare minimum for a baby that will then outgrow that in around 6 months if you get it as a 1-2 month old.

What I consider to be the true minimum sized tank/enclosure is a 75 gallon (48x18x20) or a 4x2x2 enclosure. This would give enough space for a beardie to exercise properly rather than just giving it enough space to thermoregulate, which is all it would have in a 40-50 gallon.

A baby beardie can handle a somewhat large enclosure, 75 gallons or so is a perfect enclosure for a single baby beardie or a single adult beardie.
A baby/young beardie cant handle a bioactive enclosure with leaves everywhere, crickets hiding, and bacteria breeding grounds, which is why i said if you go with bioactive the beardie has to be at least a year old or more. The enclosure has to be quite large for the beardie to live perfectly healthy in a enclosure full of bacteria, bad and good.

If you are still interested in a bio-active tank, check out the bio dude on YouTube. He does a buildup of a 75 gallon and an Exo Terra 36”x18”x12” enclosure. He does suggest a larger tank than the 36”, but that’s all I have space, and money for! Lizzie has been happily ensconced in hers since she was 6 months old. She’s now two. I give her run-loose-on-the-floor time every day.
As soon as I save enough, I’ll be doing her tank over into bio-active. I also have a leopard gecko I’ll be doing next.
The important thing is to follow through with everything necessary for this kind of tank. If you do, there will be NO problems!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kayleebirdy":1rpwey5y said:
If you are still interested in a bio-active tank, check out the bio dude on YouTube. He does a buildup of a 75 gallon and an Exo Terra 36”x18”x12” enclosure. He does suggest a larger tank than the 36”, but that’s all I have space, and money for! Lizzie has been happily ensconced in hers since she was 6 months old. She’s now two. I give her run-loose-on-the-floor time every day.
As soon as I save enough, I’ll be doing her tank over into bio-active. I also have a leopard gecko I’ll be doing next.
The important thing is to follow through with everything necessary for this kind of tank. If you do, there will be NO problems!

Bioactive tanks are fine for skinks, anoles, geckos, and frogs BUT not a good option for dragons , if you insist in doing this , you should refer to this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=244236

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom