New to bearded dragons and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dano

Hello Everyone,

I am new to bearded dragons and I am trying to setup a 40 gallon breeder tank up. I bought the Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp, 160-Watt light bulb and it's keeping the basking area at 130F which is raised about 6 inches off of the floor of the tank. I got just s heat bulb 125w today and it's keeping it at 130F also.

What would be a good heat bulb and also a uvb bulb for dome light fixures?

Thanks!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
For a 40 gallon you want a bulb that is 75-100 Watts to get the basking spot at the correct 100-110 temperature. No higher than 110 mostly.

For uvb you want a 34” Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 uvb bulb and then a reflective fixture to fit it. For that you can get on amazon for a low price.
You could also go with Arcadia who makes great uvb bulbs with higher percentages, 12% and 14% bulbs are their highest so far. You’d go for the same length if you went for this brand.

There’s no UVB that can be put into dome fixtures and give off enough uvb for the beardie to thrive. However if you want to go with a MVB the megaray are tons better than Exo-Terra’s MVB. Solar-Glos stop producing a good amount of uvb within the first month or so.

Dano

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your reply and all of the good info. I have a new 36" t8 fish tank fluorescent light strip with a metal reflector and i'm just wondering if I buy the zoomed reptisun 10.0 uvb 36" would this work?

I've been having this strip for a year just laying around.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It could work as long as it’s reflective and you place it inside and get the t8 10.0 (or larger percentage) bulb which is weaker than the t5 unfortunately.
If you get the t8 10.0 bulb it must be between 6-8 inches from the basking spot mounted inside.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
The reflector and fixture most likely, the light not so much. You need a UVB bulb made for reptiles, not a grow light.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-2606...077260&sr=8-6&keywords=reptisun+10.0+uvb+bulb

https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-T5HO...1516077457&sr=8-1&keywords=t5+uvb+22"+fixture

This is the UVB bulb and fixture you'd need, if you mount it inside make sure to mount it near the basking spot. You can secure it with wire or string, or possibly a zip tie.
However it can go on top as well since its a T5 10.0 bulb.

Dano

Original Poster
you've been so helpful thanks so much. I will buy both of them tonight!

it feels nice to finally find a great forum instead of people attacking you for asking questions I'm so glad I found this site. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom