I need suggestions for uvb tube light setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peep18

here is the top of my 40gallon tank it is weird. the normal 10.0 tube lights cant fit on it. the black lamp is a megaray all in one lamp. but i feel like i should get uvb for more of the tank. i only have about 15 inches of room to work with. is there any good smallers uvb lamps and the other light is just for more light and it gives a extra few degrees on the hot spot.
SH0loGd.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The UVB tube bulbs don't really emit much heat at all, no. Is the Megaray a 100 or a 160 watt
bulb?
The Reptisun 10 has a T5 high output tube bulb, in a 12 inch length I saw that you could try. I
couldn't find a regular T8 Reptisun tube in that length. You would need to get a high output
T5 light fixture.
How long is the 40 gallon, in inches? You could always get a regular Reptisun 10 T8 & just mount
it underneath of the screen, if that would work.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You have way more than 15 inches of linear space to play with <-- mount a t5ho 10% Zoo Med or a t5ho 12% Arcadia tube in a reflector hood UNDER the lid with one end adjacent to the Megaray.

If you opt for a 10%UVB T8 tube , bare in mind these are very weak , and you'll need to allow the dragon to get inside 6 inches of the 10%UVB T8 tube even if in a reflector hood. See this for working out distances to basking spot from a UVB tube or compact : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

The cover the bit of mesh the compact UVB and it's dome reflector was sitting on with a piece of timber (an offcut that covers the hole and the exposed wire mesh will be adequate).

Peep18

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1x7ng3e0 said:
You have way more than 15 inches of linear space to play with <-- mount a t5ho 10% Zoo Med or a t5ho 12% Arcadia tube in a reflector hood UNDER the lid with one end adjacent to the Megaray.

The cover the bit of mesh the compact UVB and it's dome reflector was sitting on with a piece of timber (an offcut that covers the hole and the exposed wire mesh will be adequate).
if i mount it under i do. but i only got 15 inches of mesh + the black lamp on top.

Peep18

Original Poster
Peep18":3bd9frrz said:
kingofnobbys":3bd9frrz said:

if i mount it under i do. but i only got 15 inches of mesh + the black lamp on top.
18 inch or 24 and where can i find a cheap reflector light mount or whatever? and the second part of the post i didnt really understand.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-24-Fluorescent-Blacklight-Fixture/16879944
i see this is a cheap little option and it has little nail mounts on the back and i could get some stick on picture hangers. but it isnt a reflective light fixture

Peep18

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1lkp4ezx said:

If you opt for a 10%UVB T8 tube , bare in mind these are very weak , and you'll need to allow the dragon to get inside 6 inches of the 10%UVB T8 tube even if in a reflector hood. See this for working out distances to basking spot from a UVB tube or compact : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

i guess my question is can i mount it inside without having a reflector? how much of a difference will it make?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I suggest checking out Taterbug's lighting guide which shows output from different lighting configurations so you can see what the (general) output is for a T5 with and without a reflector. It's best to use a Solarmeter to measure output in your setup and adjust lighting accordingly if you can. These are general results based on some light testing and serve as a guide rather than a rule. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Peep18":34202va1 said:
Peep18":34202va1 said:
kingofnobbys":34202va1 said:

18 inch or 24 and where can i find a cheap reflector light mount or whatever? and the second part of the post i didnt really understand.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-24-Fluorescent-Blacklight-Fixture/16879944
i see this is a cheap little option and it has little nail mounts on the back and i could get some stick on picture hangers. but it isnt a reflective light fixture

I wouldn't bother with a Walmart fluorescent tube fixture as it will be a false economy
>> no parabolic (focusing) reflector builtin so you'll only have a bare t5HO tube so the distances to get adequate UVA & UVB will be halved (12 inches becomes 6 inches).
>> they come with a plastic dust cover / diffuser which , if not removed , will block 100% of the UVA & UVB and which has to be removed.
===> do yourself and your dragon a big favour and spend a few more $ to buy a t5HO reflector hood designed for reptile vivariums , it'll save you money in the long run.

Please PLEASE , don't be tempted to cheap out and buy a Blacklight setup (tube),. those black UV tubes produce the wrong spectrum and are not any good for your dragon.

A black CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER is probably a good idea for your viv if you live in cold climate and the room temperatures overnight fall below 18 degC.

Peep18

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":xnxtlgmk said:
Peep18":xnxtlgmk said:
Peep18":xnxtlgmk said:
kingofnobbys":xnxtlgmk said:

I wouldn't bother with a Walmart fluorescent tube fixture as it will be a false economy
>> no parabolic (focusing) reflector builtin so you'll only have a bare t5HO tube so the distances to get adequate UVA & UVB will be halved (12 inches becomes 6 inches).
>> they come with a plastic dust cover / diffuser which , if not removed , will block 100% of the UVA & UVB and which has to be removed.
===> do yourself and your dragon a big favour and spend a few more $ to buy a t5HO reflector hood designed for reptile vivariums , it'll save you money in the long run.

Please PLEASE , don't be tempted to cheap out and buy a Blacklight setup (tube),. those black UV tubes produce the wrong spectrum and are not any good for your dragon.

A black CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER is probably a good idea for your viv if you live in cold climate and the room temperatures overnight fall below 18 degC.
some people say the t5ho 10% with a relfector should sit on top of the tank. but with mine it really cant? could i just mount it high up on the back wall of my tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom