Vinegar to clean reptile carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillS

Hi everyone!
I have been using reptile carpet for my beardie and I love it. I will never go back to sand. I had my last beardie in sand and have learned why it's not the best option for a few reasons.

Every day when my guy poops, I scoop it up and then scrub the carpet with wet paper towel until I feel that it is as fully removed as possible. However, the smell does linger a little. I change the carpet every week, but I'm wondering if there is something I can use to clean the carpet every day without having to machine wash daily. My schedule just doesn't allow this and I don't want to stress Drogon out. I have an all natural cleaner that is just water, distilled white vinegar, and essential oils. I figured that would kill bacteria naturally and help with the smell but I want to be certain that this is okay. Perhaps I can take him out while cleaning until the vinegar smell dissipates a bit? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Drogon is a year old, 18 inches long. Right now he is in a 40 gallon tank, switching to a 75 gallon tank next week. He eats everything out of glass dishes so he would never lick the carpet except for the random lick now and again :).

Thank you so much!!!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I switched from the reptile carpet to non adhesive shelf liner. Which is great, no bugs get under it, easy to clean, just wipe it down. It says you can wash it, but for the price I will probably get a new roll.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Carpet should go in the washer which will get it clean but tatters it pretty quickly. I agree that a solid substrate is easier to keep sanitized. I use vinegar to clean up solid bits then once the surface is clean I sanitize it with F10 spray. Works really well and eliminates bad odors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom