MVB and Reptisun 10.0 UBV? Calcium with or without D3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BillS":34rbwxm3 said:
Update: So we tried a few different set-ups. First Mega-Ray 160W, then the Mega-Ray 100W. The first time I used the Mega-Ray 160W, I didn't keep it far enough away from his basking spot, which resulted in him using his nictitating membrane to block the UVB from harming his eyes I think. I went back to the old set-up of a 150W basking with a reptisun 10.0 UVB, that was too hot. Then I switched to the 100W and the temperature was perfect, but he still didn't seem fully satisfied. So this morning I tried the Mega-Ray 160W again and raised it so he is 14"+ from the bulb instead of 11-12" and I cut a 2"x2" hole in the screen right under the center of the bulb to make sure he is getting direct UVB when basking. WOW! It was like he came alive this morning almost instantly after I did this. He had so much energy, exploring and climbing and chowing down on his morning salad as well :D. No freaky white eyes :lol: This is his third day with me so it could be a combination of the light and getting more comfortable in his new home. He also soaked yesterday and drank a lot of water, I think he was probably dehydrated from the journey.

Question: I'm a big "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!" kind of guy, so I want to stick with the Mega-Ray 160W. My only concern is that on the cool side of the tank it's a little dark. I could put the reptisun 10.0 on top of the screen, but don't want to overload on UVB. Should I just let it be, or maybe get a reptisun 5.0 just to add some light. I figure the screen would probably filter out a lot of the UVB anyways, right? Do you guys have experience with this? Thank you so much!! :D

Your dragon will appreciate being able to escape very bright lighting by moving to a less brightly lit area of the viv.

A MegaRay MVB + T5HO 12%UVB tube covering about 2/3 - 3/4 the viv length will be just fine.
Many here (Australia) use a Philip par38 colorless spot globe as the basking globe + a 10%UVB or 12%UVB tube in reflector hood mounted UNDER the lid (mostly timber vivs here which are front opening).
VitD3 fortified calcium is not necessary if the photoperiod is long (15 - 16 hrs) and the above or similar lights are deployed at a distance to provide 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot and 70-90 microW UVB /sq.cm elsewhere.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A good photoperiod should be 14 hrs., anything more is using up electricity for nothing and we know how expensive that is getting ! For a few months out of the year many beardies brumate, when they do they get much less uvb or no uvb at all. They are designed to handle that, some owners [ myself included ] have had dragons brumate with no lights on at all, we just check the dragon every few days to be sure they're really asleep. Other owners reduce the photoperiod to about 8 hours a day in case the dragon wants to come out on their own, and it makes the owner feel more secure keeping the lights on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom