HELP!!!!!! i cant get my temps right !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzayas17

hey guys im new and i dont know if this is the right place i cant get my tenps right my left side is 80 with i think its fine (let me know if its not) but the right side is supposed to be between 100 and 105 if im not mistaken i know im not supposed to have the red light on for somereason they say it can harm there eyes so i only turn it on if my apartment gets 60 degrees or below and i turned it on because the temp on my moniter both said between 76-77 andy ideas any help anything please thank you so muchc in advance btw im a beginner i plan on breading them but want to learn more with my first one first
92429-2352237618.jpg
92429-2184502175.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reason behind not wanting the red light is because during the day it can make things look distorted. They're used to being outside in bright white sunshine so that's what we should try to simulate. At night, visible light can disturb their sleep so it's best to go with a purely infrared option if needed so no visible light is emitted.

It's great that you're using the Herpstat. I have the same one and it works really well for automating the temperatures. If you're having trouble keeping the temps up, I'd try a slightly higher wattage bulb or a different type. I use a PAR38 halogen flood light in my setup and it handles dimming from the herpstat really well. I have that over the basking area and I have a MegaRay heat projector bulb over the cool side. One probe sits in the basking area and controls the output of the basking light via dimming setting. I keep that set between 100-105 during the day. I have the second probe on the cool side floor and that controls the heat projector bulb which is on pulse setting. It kicks in at night if the temperature drops below 70 and it turns off at 73 or above so most of the time it's not on.

My UVB light is on a mechanical outlet timer and clicks on about and hour and a half after the basking light ramps up and goes off about an hour before "sunset".

jzayas17

Original Poster
UPDATE ! so i turned the light off and moved some stuff around and my temps are hitting 80 on the left and 105 on the right and my infrared light has been off for 2 days only turn it in in the morning to warm up the area ... now one wuestion should i buy the CHE and have it on or just have it on when it get a little chillin for him and also i bought a dried omnivore mix wich im getting a trouble for him to eat ecause he is used to meal worms and live food but hes getting bigger and im trying to get him in greens and some fruit like squash or strawberries and one last thing since yesterday hes been in hiding under his log any ideas or i formation or any advices i can get from my flow dragon masters ! thanks in advance

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad the temps are in a good range now. I'd get a CHE to have it on hand. You don't need to use it all the time though. You can hook it to a dimmer to give off just enough heat to supplement the basking light if needed or bump the temps a little at night. I often don't use mine during the summer. Just on cold winter nights when the house dips into the 50s.

jzayas17

Original Poster
hi guys quick update on tyson ... i moved from colorado back to texas with my family and took him with me i had to board him at a petshop because i couldnt take his enclosure with me it was too big with all my stuff so i left him with a really nice old lady had tons of bearded dragons Literally ! left him for about 3 weeks and turns out he is a SHE !. she doesnt have the pores, so back again to the big topic here i cant get my temps right hotting to 105 .. i have news paper right now because i dont know if too use sarnd or that wood stuff they sometimes use what should i use my house stays at 73 -75 hes temps on one side is 73 and 75 on the other side but during the down it dont go past 80 on one side ues rigjt now only using a uvb 5.0 18" 45.7mm those long tubes i dont know what theyre called zoomed because i switched up a couple thing like removed the other round uv lightbulb and took out the heating rock ????

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd keep a solid substrate. Newspaper is fine if you want to keep using that. Try using a halogen flood light connected to one of the herpstat ports. Start with a 70w PAR38 halogen flood and if that doesn't get hot enough move to a 90w and see how that goes. They work well in conjunction with the UVB tubes.

A T8 5.0 isn't really giving off any useful UVB so I'd replace that with a nice T5 tube. I use this one and it's great http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom