Too much UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattps81

Im getting ready to buy my first bearded dragon in the next few months. I was looking on craigslist for an exo-terra tank. I found a guy selling a 36x18x18 with lighting and decorations for $150. Seems like a pretty good deal. My question is that he is including a T5 HO ballast and bulb that is 36" long. My understanding is that a 24" is ideal. If I buy this setup should I use the 36"?

Thanks.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I would probably use it, but what brand is the bulb? It would be hard to overdose UVB, but other wavelengths have been known to cause problems though

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Forgot to ask how old is the bulb and what type of light would you use as a basking bulb. $150 doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, but I have a 210 gallon aquarium I got for $150.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good deal for the tank. I bought mine for about $350 new. I have a 36'' T5 tube on my tank (same tank) and it works well. Since it's longer than I'd like I just set it forward in the tank to create a gradient of less UVB toward the back. If you don't have a solarmeter to check the output of the light, I'd buy a new light and replace it yearly. Best to be on the safe side with that. If you build the basking area to be about 12'' below the bulb (10'' if you are using the mesh top) then the UVB exposure should be just right under the light. Just set it forward (or back) in the tank and build plenty of shade areas.

76248-8383156387.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom