Temp's won't stay down!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so for the first 2 or 3 days I had a perfect basking spot temp of 105 but when I checked it again today it was up to 118!!??? I moved the probe and put it back in the same spot and it read 105 again??? Also if I move the probe a little bit to the left or right it drops from 105 to high 90s. What am I doing wrong? my bulb is 90watts so should I go to a smaller bulb like a 60 or 75 watt bulb to compensate for the increase in temp over a few days??? Also should I just make the temp to 105 and whatever the surrounding temps are just ignore them??? Cause I know the center of the beam of light is gonna be hotter of course and when the probe is moved moved out of center its gonna drop pls help!!!!! :angry5: :banghead:

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I use a 75w bulb in a 4'×2'×2' and it does fine. I simply adjusted her basking height to get proper temps.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Depending on what type of heat bulb you are using you could just use a lamp cord dimmer switch to adjust the output of the bulb. The dimmer cords are about $15...
It won't work on ballast bulb though.

Kiko112016

Original Poster
I switched to a 40 watt halogen flood and it seems to be working better. Plus I bought a temp gun too so I can keep track with a probe and that. So we'll see what happens!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It can be tough to keep the temps stable sometimes, especially when the weather outside changes. It's good that the halogen is working better. Using a dimmer is a good way to fine tune the output and you can take it a step further and get a programmable dimming thermostat to automatically control the output to keep it within a range. I wouldn't worry too much about small fluctuations as long as you still have a good gradient across the tank though. Just try to keep accurate readings of the basking site and the cool side surfaces so you know where the gradient stands.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
As Cooper mentioned the proportional thermostats are really nice. I have three of them for each one of my incubators. I can set them to pulse proportional, proportional, or on/off. But the cheapest one of mine was $99, my most expensive was $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom