I'm new to bearded dragons and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianS

Hi so I'm just about to get a bearded dragon very soon from a reptile expo. tanks all setup have a brick for the hotspot but I have an issue. I have a 65-75 watt bulb on top of the cage and don't know if it gets hot enough for the cage I'm keeping him/her in it's a 20 gallon long. If anyone can give me a good way of finding out how hot the hot spot is other than a temp gun as I haven't seen one in my stores if I have too I have another bulb at the ready Id I must use two any help will be appreciated ??

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How tall is the tank ?

Will the basking and the UVB10 lights be mounted under or ontop the lid ?

is the lid a solid timber top or a mesh screen ? mesh is BAD.

I suggest you invest some money in a couple of digital thermometers (with the probe on the end of long cable) ie http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/serenity-LED-digital-aquarium-thermometer?gclid=CJehyLHH89ECFYKVvAod0_0CwA&gdfms=C632FD23CCD3459793177D4193E82F6B&gdffi=10600f223f474e1c9ae213f32fb3a662 , I use 3 per tank for my lizards, you can buy these very cheaply via Ebay ($3 EACH), and they are quite accurate enough for your needs (within 1oC) , very good for getting air temperatures and zone temperatures and surface temperatures when then probe is taped tightly to the surface of interest,
and an noncontact (laser) thermometer gun like http://www.avidreptilesupplies.com.au/shop/gauges/infrared-temperature-gun/ , I use one with has a tight spot (18:1 ==> I measuring a 1cm diameter spot at 18cm distance), the larger the ratio ,the smaller the spot at a given distance, these will only give surface temperatures, but you can measure without having to touch the surface with a probe. I bought mine via Ebay.

try LLL Reptile and other the other online reptile gear stores (Google is your friend) , you'll likely get your gear cheaper than from the local pet shops too.

If your hot / basking spot is at about 40oC (100F) it's fine, if it's cooler than 38oC you need either :
>>> more wattage (good MVB is an excellent option = UVA + UVB + heat + bright white/yellowish light all in one unit, MVBs can not be dimmed and are best operated off or on ONLY
or
>>> more wattage , a 80W or 100W par38 Philips clear COLORLESS incandescent spotty is a good option , lots of bright white/yellowish light and heat , no UV
or
>>> move the globe closer to the basking spot (make sure lizard can't reach or leap onto it)
or
>>> provide a basking perch that the lizard can climb to find it's preferred basking temperature , a branch that's fallen off a tree can be great basking perch for a beardie (who a good climbers)

Make sure you have NO coloured globes, these are useless and of no benefit to a beardie and can effect their behaviour and feeding.

Make sure you have a good quality UVB source , rated at least 10% UVB. If you have a screen between the UV source and the lizard you will cut the UVA and UVB reaching the lizard by at least 25% (hence screens are bad).

ChristianS

Original Poster
Ahh ok I planned on building a Viv for the beardie soon actually within a couple of weeks the light is yellow and the tank stands at about exactly 12 inches tall and it is mesh which I'm now changing and the lights are on top and I do have some probes lying around and can most likely use them and I beilve the exact wattage of the build I'm using is 75 but I'll be going to the store and buying a 100 watt bulb and going online to buy a temp gun thanks for the info so much ???? And I mk going to be using a brick as the (rock) under the basking light

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Christian , mesh tops are fine as long as the bulb isn't extremely hot. Is it soft mesh or a wire screen ? That does make a difference. Wire screen is good even at high temps, I have 100-125 watt mercury vapor bulbs sitting on top of mine.

LogicalGamer412

So you might know my question so I'm going to ask. So I have a 5 month old bearded dragon named helio and I just starting to feed her 1/2 crickets and was wondering if that's fine? Please help!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

****LogicalGamer412, go ahead & start your own thread in the Feeding Forum, so that you can get more personalized attention for your particular question on feeding.****

Thanks,
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom