Help? Lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, a new member and a soon to be bearded dragon owner. I have some questions about lighting. I bought an all living things kit (40 gal) and it came with two lights (please google the kit if you need to know what it includes). (Also I know its better to build your own set up but parents think its better to buy a kit )^: )My problem is that a customer service lady tricked my mom into buying a infrared spot bulb, which I dont think they need. Do they need that bulb? They just need the heat one and the uvb one right? Anyway, I just need to know if we actually need a Infrared spot bulb. Also, since I'm here, you do have both lights on for 12-14 hours then you turn it off right? If someone could answer that would be much appreciated (^:

Sharpy

Hatchling Member
Hi
Welcome to the world if bearded dragons.
No you don't need an infrared bulb at all they disturb your beardies sleep they need it dark. If your temps go below 65f at night then you would need a ceramic heat emitter.
You need either a thermometer with a probe or a infrared temp gun to accurately take temps as the one with the kit is known to not be accurate.
A lot of people advise to have lights on between 14/15 hours a day.
I can't comment on the type of UV light that comes with the kit as I'm not familiar that light.

Hope this helps

Kay

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The kit is a good starting point but unfortunately it doesn't include everything needed. I would first get a good thermometer. A digital thermometer with two probes (one for each end) or an IR temp gun like this would be best https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK It's important to have accurate temperature readings and set up a gradient of about 100-110 in the basking site and a gradient down to about 75-80 on the cool side to provide basking options.

If your basking light is the model with neodymium coating, I would replace it with a different one. Even a PAR38 halogen flood light from a hardware store. The neodymium coating can make things look odd to your dragon by filtering yellow light. Other than that, just set the basking light at appropriate height to achieve the temperature gradient I measured. Having an adjustable lamp stand helps with this.

For UVB I would replace the coil that came with the kit and either move to a 26w Exo Terra UVB200 bulb (if that isn't what came with it) or replace the whole thing with a T5 tube like this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ proper UVB exposure is critical to their overall health so it's worth every penny to invest in high quality lighting. I'd pick up the T5 if you can and mount it on top of the tank over the basking area side.

I would get a few extra repti carpet sets so you can easily swap them out for cleaning. They need to be cleaned frequently to provide sanitary conditions. You may want to consider switching to non adhesive shelf liner for a cheaper and easier to clean option.

A visible red bulb at night will disrupt sleep. If the temperatures in the enclosure stay above about 65 or so overnight you don't need any night heating. Otherwise stick to something like a low wattage ceramic heat emitter which produces heat with no visible light.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear he's doing well. Please keep us updated on Apollo's progress and adventures =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom