Basking bulb too hot for PVC cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, made a post a couple days a go but I got a question about another problem. I ordered a 4x2x2 cage made out of PVC plastic and Ive got a 100watt basking bulb I was going to mount to a ceramic fixture in the top. Well the guy who makes the cages calls me and tells me that a basking bulb is too hot for a PVC cage and will warp the plastic at around 150 degrees. But that didnt sound right to me and I dont think a basking bulb will get it that hot.

So my question to yall is was he right and I cant get a cage made out of that? Or does he not know what hes talking about and Im good to go. If necessary I could just get a 60watt bulb but I thought the point of the ceramic fixture was to stop the warping anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I would say he is right. It doesn't take much heat to soften PVC and in doing so releases toxic gasses that could possibly poison your little critter.

I wouldn't chance it.

TheCoreyHall

Original Poster
The thing is I have read from multiple websites including: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-setup.php

of how PVC is a recommended cage material for a bearded dragon. How could that be true if they are in danger of soften up and letting off fumes like you said?

What if I just used a normal lightbulb that was like 20 watt? Ive heard that PVC retain heat really well and I think that would be enough.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I work with a lot of PVC products and when heated up does emmit gasses, maybe not very toxic to us but who knows what it might do to a bearded dragon.
If you can keep the ceramic fixture far enough off of it, it might be OK to use. With a 75watt basking bulb in a ceramic fixture it reaches 200.6° on the fixture (just checked it with an infrared thermometer) in my vivarium. I mounted them to a wood block with washers for spacers to help with the heat dispersement. Wood block only reaches 98° on the back side. So it is possible to mount it to the PVC with the use of some washers and a 1x4 as long as you use desperate screws for fastening the wood to the PVC and the fixture to the wood block. I hope this helps.
A 20watt bulb will not put out the heat needed for basking.

TheCoreyHall

Original Poster
Gormagon":2lffd7ay said:
I work with a lot of PVC products and when heated up does emmit gasses, maybe not very toxic to us but who knows what it might do to a bearded dragon.
If you can keep the ceramic fixture far enough off of it, it might be OK to use. With a 75watt basking bulb in a ceramic fixture it reaches 200.6° on the fixture (just checked it with an infrared thermometer) in my vivarium. I mounted them to a wood block with washers for spacers to help with the heat dispersement. Wood block only reaches 98° on the back side. So it is possible to mount it to the PVC with the use of some washers and a 1x4 as long as you use desperate screws for fastening the wood to the PVC and the fixture to the wood block. I hope this helps.
A 20watt bulb will not put out the heat needed for basking.

Okay thats a good idea. Im looking for anyway really to use it with a PVC tank because the PVC tank was the only one I could ship to me in a reasonable cost/timeframe. Thanks for the idea.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Install a false ceiling that is made from 1/2 inch thick plywood under the lid and attach the ceramic light fitting to the underneath of that.

I'd install a ceramic tile between the light fitting and the plywood false ceiling just in case to prevent the wood from being overheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom