Question about an enclosure in my garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coincident

I have a 2.5x1x1.5 Foot Glass aquarium sitting around and I was reading through some of the other enclosure questions and I had a few my self about the one I have.

The aquarium is glass all around, I've seen several posts about ventilation. So I was curious if there are going to be ventilation problems with the glass aquarium?

I know that 2.5x1x1.5 is not big enough for a grown Beardie but while mine is growing it will be fine?

I should have around a 400-500 dollar budget for everything that I need. So if the glass aquarium is a bad idea that's alright and I can get something else. Thank you guys for your time. :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will need a larger enclosure as your dragon grows but that should do for a few months if he's a little guy. If you can put a screen top on it or leave it open (if you have no other animals in the house) then it should be OK ventilation wise. I would save up for a full size enclosure or for the materials to build one though. I'd focus the majority of the budget on good lighting since that's so critical. Having a good UVB light is quite important so I suggest getting a T5 fixture and bulb right from the start. Make sure it sits about 12-14'' above the basking area (you may need to suspend it a bit above the tank for now). The basking light isn't quite as important. As long as it's a bright white light that produces proper temps (100-110 basking site, 75-80 cool side) it should be fine. Having a temp gun or good thermometer is also critical for getting this set properly. You'll want to put in some good climbs and hides but this can be done cheaply by using branches from outside (bake them to sanitize) or by picking up a cheap habba hut. If you have leftover budget, I'd get some dubia roaches if they're legal where you are and get a colony started. They require a large rubbermaid bin with a mesh top, some cardboard to live in, and plenty of veg scraps. Having a colony started early will help with food costs during growth spurts and they are much easier to care for than crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom