Portable vivarium/Xmas with family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technaut

Hi guys, I am going to my mother inlaws for xmas this year, (hopefully only 3 days) our little connie will be 9 months old then. For the past week we have been calling up the shops near us to see if she can be borded but everyplace is full for that time.
I was starting to think of ways we can bring her with us, it's only a 3 hour drive so that's not an issue really but there is no way i would be able to bring her viv down. Is there portable/small vivs out there that would be safe for her to live in for those few days? something plastic would be preferable, the only other option that I just thought of now was looking for someplace she could stay in down there.

Technaut

Original Poster
Taterbug":zm84la9v said:
I use a large sterlite tote with a clamp lamp for when Pepper has to travel with us.

I will look into this, Do you cut large holes in the top or leave the top off it when the light is on? I'll keep looking for other options but this seems like it might be ok for the few days.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The tote with the top off should be fine as long as no other animals are around. I like using an adjustable lamp stand to hang the basking light from. There isn't always a convenient place to clamp the lamp to at the appropriate height to get the temps correct.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
No lid. I bring a tile for a basking spot and put paper towel or a bath towel on the floor. It's tall enough he can't jump out (except that one time I tried a basking rock. Oops)

Technaut

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1tmv563s said:
The tote with the top off should be fine as long as no other animals are around. I like using an adjustable lamp stand to hang the basking light from. There isn't always a convenient place to clamp the lamp to at the appropriate height to get the temps correct.

I have found a flexable light fitting that takes 60w bulbs so i should be able to flex it to a suitable height, something else that just came to mind recently is that i would have her uvb light. Do you think she will be ok without that? In her viv is a an exoterra 10.0 and 2.0 so she gets a great spectrum but there is no way something like that could be fitted to the tote.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think 3 days without UVB will cause an issue for a 9 month old. When I travel I bring a Slimline fixture with a T8 bulb in it that I just put across the travel tank at a diagonal and it does the job. In this case I don't think you'll need it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom