New lighting set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedwella

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2l4cit&s=9#.VlCeol_EjCQ

Hey guys :)

This is my first post:). I've basically done what Jess did on the other post "Lighting for Newbies :)" and went out and bought the Reptisun 10.0 bulb. I have a baby beardie, and I got a starter kit from zoo med. I had a what they call a hood with a compact coil uv bulb thing. I read they suck. And I think I know what they mean. Anyways, my beardie was active for a bit then started looking pretty sluggish so, I just bought the bulb and a cheap lamp fixture like Jess did from Walmart and basically I just want an approval for the setup I have right now in the above picture. After work I'm going to go and find some hooks or something to mount the light on the inside of the tank because I read the screen filters the UVB rays out and therefore I loose some uvb for my baby girl. But for now, does this set up work that I've attached in the tinypic link above ? Also, should I have the fixture stretch across my baby's basking spot? Let me know! All comments welcome :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should work nicely for now. You'll want to get a more powerful UVB light when you get a bigger tank but that's a bit down the road. For this one, I'd mount it about 6'' above that basking platform right next to the basking light for best results.

I also suggest moving the food dish to the cool side of the tank because it won't get all dried out as quickly over there.

bedwella

Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon. I think I may get a slimmer fixture for my basking bulb because it's big and bulky and takes up a lot of room on top of the screen and I can't get the lamp and the bulb over the basking spot at the same time. I'm afraid to mount the UVB light inside (under the screen) and then the basking light cause damage to the fixture or the bulb. Any ideas ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found that you can shield plastic pieces from the heat of the basking light by wrapping it in foil with the reflective side out. It will be easier to manage once you have a bigger tank but for now I'd try the foil or another similar type of shielding and see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom