Enclosure/lighting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Alright so I'm so indecisive when it comes to this stuff, I don't know what's best, obviously. Knowing this, I'm probably putting more stress on my little girl than she should be going through.

I replaced the Powersun with a 24" 10.0 Reptisun, and today I picked up a dimmer & one of these GE bulbs...what I'm noticing is that it isn't really a clear light like I thought it would be, it almost has a yellowish tint. Is this fine? I'm waiting for it to heat up and get me good temps. I took her out so I could take a basking log temperature. (Nubee temp gun). Would it be better to put the light flat on the screen and dim as necessary? Or leave it angled hanging on the wall.

I replaced my Zilla basking bulbs because a 75 watt put out over 150 degrees, which I thought was insane for the somewhat lower wattage. But, it seems like it shoots a much more focused beam of light and heat so that may explain it.

Here's the enclosure so far

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have some of those GE lights too. I used them for portable basking sites. They work well and put out a good amount of heat and bright light. They do have a yellowish tint but that's OK. It doesn't look like the fixture is at too much of an angle on the wall but if you can put it directly overhead and dim it, it may work better. Try getting as much of a direct overhead angle as you can and test the temperatures. The important part is to create a nice wide area at basking temps that will allow a whole dragon body to fit easily.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah temp measuring is so freakin annoying to me. One time it'll be way too hot cause the lamp was on the spot for a while, and other times it'll just be too cold. And then sometimes it changes based on the color of the basking surface, as expected... I'm using a nubee gun FYI. Any tips for a more consistent measurement? She's real dark right now, either to the changes I've made to the tank or the Temps just aren't right. I put paper on the inside so there's no more reflections

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With a bulb like that I've found it to provide adequate temperatures at around 19'' from the floor of the tank or about 11'' above the top of the basking log. I'd also be sure to take the temperature readings according to the distance ratio for the temp gun you have. Sometimes the temps fluctuate a bit depending on the ambient temperature in the room but from what I've seen that tends to be seasonal and can be corrected using an adjustable lamp stand to raise/lower the light. You may still need to do a bit of tweaking with the system using different types of bulbs, wattages, distances etc but once it's set up it usually doesn't need much tweaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom