Spray paint on inside of tank ok for dragons health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartley

Hatchling Member
Wondering if I can coat the inside and outside of my dragons tank with this:

http://duplicolor.com/product/adhesion-promoter

I tested this out on a spare piece of glass and it made it look a little frosted, but it took away the reflection, which is what I need. My dragon is going insane in his tank and his nose is almost raw. I have covered the inside with paper, but he shreds it and I feel bad not letting him see outside the tank. Just having the piece of aquarium stuff on the outside does nothing, and I've tried putting clear vinyl sheets on the inside also and that was expensive and also didn't work.

I would like to do this now, but wanted to be sure that it will be safe for him. I planned to lightly coat the inside, and maybe outside too, and let it sit empty for at least 6 hours, maybe all night. Til its fully dry and the odor is gone. Will this be ok? Or will the fumes or him possibly licking it affect his health?

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
I recommend acrylic paint on the outside. May take a few coats but it will work. Walmart has some in art and craft section. Water based an non toxic. I've used it before

Neebles

Hi there. This is my first post and I'm COMPLETELY new to the world of bearded dragons. I'm in the planning stages for my first. Anyway, with that being said, take this for what's it's worth.... I come from the world of saltwater reef tanks, which are about as sensitive as systems get. We use krylon fusion spray paint inside and outside of our tanks all the time. It's completely REEF safe....safe for fish, crabs, shrimp, coral etc...even while the paint is submerged in saltwater. I would imagine if you painted your enclosure walls with it you would be ok...please please please don't take that as gospel, as we are talking about different beasts here. However, if you are looking into spray paint, research krylon fusion... Please get a second, third, fourth opinion before trying as again, I am brand new, have zero experience with dragons and only trying to help using past unrelated experience.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If he is interacting enough with the glass to cause injury to himself you may want to explore other reasons or solutions to the issue. Are you certain it's his reflection bothering him? Glass dancing, nose rubbing etc can also be an escape behavior - dragons don't understand transparent barriers and can hurt them selves trying to get out. If you haven't, it's worth wile to rule out temperature or light problems, too small of an enclosure, not enough shelter/cover, or any other aspects of the habitat that may be contributing to or causing the behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom