Does anyone have suggestions for a UVB...*edit* PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Milo's UVB bulb burnt out and I'm looking to buy a new one. He had a compact bulb but I was warned that it could cause eye damage and really is just generally not the best kind of UVB bulb. A few of you guys suggested the tube kind (i think that's what it's called) but I honestly can't afford to buy the light as well as the special light fixture. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good uvb light that will be safe for him?
Also I'm looking for a pre-made food for him just to mix things up. Anyone know any good brands (if there are any good ones lol)? I've never used the pre-made food because I'm honestly not sure if they're actually even healthy for beardies. So if any of you guys could let me know that'd be great. :)

EDIT:

I've decided to look into getting a tube light because I keep on reading about how much better they are for beardies. I remember a while back someone telling me I can just use a florescent tube fixture from Home Depot or something, does anyone know of that's actually true? I need help! On amazon, people were selling the light fixtures alone for like $40.. If anyone could help me find a cheaper one to use then that'd be really appreciated. Also suggestions on brands for the actual bulb would be great. Thanks!

EDIT:
If anyone can help, I just posted a new comment on here with a question

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Not sure about the lights. From what I've found the good ones are the expensive ones, I guess you get what you pay for. As for the food, one good Beardie breeder recommended Beardie bites. They are little red cube like pellets. I tried to find some because I thought they might get my Beardie interested in her veggies. I haven't tried them but the breeder seems to know what he's talking about.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I use the Powersun 100w MVB, I don't have any complaints my beardie seems absolutely fine w/it. When she was younger she spent most of her time under her basking bulb (60w house light bulb), but now she spends more time under her UVB bulb. Unfortunately I've not had any luck with prepackaged juvenile foods. Two wks prior to going on vacation I tried Rep-Cal juvenile bearded dragon food (dry pellets u can moisten with water) so my caretaker wouldn't have to deal w/bugs but my Gizmo would not touch it. About a month ago I tried Exo Terra Juvenille dragon daily diet... Again No luck! She also won't touch the Fluckers freeze dried crickets. My girl wants her bugs fresh & living & her mustard greens sometimes, she's not a big veggie fan yet but she does nibble on it!!

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Can anyone tell me if this light fixture will work on a reptisun 10.0 uvb t5 ho??
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jasco-Jasco-10185-Basic-Fluorescent-UCF-Plug-In/29776871

If not, does anyone know what I can use? Something like this would be perfect, but $40 is a lot, especially since I just spent almost $30 on the bulb :( Anyone know any cheaper versions of it??
http://www.amazon.com/Reptile-T5HO-Standard-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00K2AY8EW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1440880046&sr=8-15&keywords=22%22+t5ho+fixture&pebp=1440880060428&perid=01SJS5JYQZFXH6VBC4XE

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I just ordered the 36" hood & bulb for the zoomed T5 HO, on Petco, on sale through tonight, 49.49$ that was a great deal. I hope it will help Mystic, he is in need of the right UBV.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
Glad to hear you went with T5. You will not be disappointed. I use a 22in T5 for my 75 gallon tank (it covers the hot side). Zoo med T5 HO 10.0 is a great bulb.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Mystic only has an old compact bulb & hood that came with the original kit. He is my nieces pet, but I take care of him. Learning a lot from this site. I need to get rid of the red bulb and figure out what will really work in the mini combo fixture. I just want Mystic to be happy and healthy.
83443-2272682824.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom