New beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm I new to this and purchased a secondhand complete set up 5 weeks ago. My baby Delta was 8 weeks when I got her and is gorgeous. On closer inspection on Thursday I noticed the light wasn't uv !!! Which means she's had no uv light for 5 weeks will I have caused her any damage I'm so worried ??

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No, I don't think you've caused her any damage but you need to get a good UVB light. What type of set up do you have, as if you're going to get a tube light (should be 3/4 length of the tank you have and mounted inside your tank), Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12 or 15 are the best lights on the market. Please make sure you don't get Reptiglo, they don't have the full spectrum UVB that your baby needs. I'm going to move this to enclosures so you can find the help you need to mount the light inside the tank, should be about 8" away from the basking spot. If you have it mounted on top of the tank lid, you'll lose 40-50% of the UVB. In the meantime, take her outside in a cardboard box for some sunshine. Make sure the box is in partial shade. Sunlight is by far the best UVB!

Hope this helps.

Kirstypeach40

Original Poster
Hi
Thanks for the info. She's in a 3ft viv until she gets bigger I have a basking light and have just purchased a Komodo 10% uv light as it was the only make I could grab that day. It takes up 3/4 of the viv and the basking light is at the end where it isn't and defo 8 in away. The only mistake I can see I've made from your info is the light is fixed to the top on the inside not the back. I'll change this today. The temps seem to stay around 86 cool end and 108 at the basking end. I've changed the bulb from 100w which it came with to 60w as it was getting too hot both ends. The person that used this viv before clearly wasn't doing it right.
Thanks so much for your help.
Kirsty

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Any time Kirsty, so your little one is about 2 mo old? then temps at 105 minimum would be good. I've never heard of that type of tube light. When you can, try to get a Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12 to 15%, they've been nominated best UVB for years. I'm sure your little one will be fine now. So you have a 40 gallon breeder? They're 3' long by 18" high by 18" deep. That's what all my adults are in, as I have 5 in a 1 bedroom apartment. I make sure they get outside time every single day, so their tank is used for basking and sleeping. I'd love to get them all 75 gallon tanks, 4' long, 2' wide and 2' high as my friend has, but I just don't have the room. They're all in the living room along with 2 geckos, so I have alot of tanks in my living room/dining room. I live alone, so I go out to visit my family and friends, very few want to visit with so many tanks & dragons/geckos so close LOL

Kirstypeach40

Original Poster
Hi
Yes that's the one. Delta comes out everyday although she's good at bolting so I have to be careful lol. I'm going away today but will get another bulb when I get back. I got this one in Pets at Home. Last night she actually snuggled in and went to sleep on my arm bless her. I bought her for my daughter but I've actually fallen in love with her myself lol never thought I would as I wasn't that keen on reptiles but it's shocked me how cute they are lol. She's a bugger for eating her veg though at the moment she will only eat rocket. She loves hoppers but isn't so keen to chase crickets !! Think she's lazy lol. She's getting used to her baths although again isn't keen. Wow that's a lot of reptiles mind you I have three dogs two cats and a rabbit so it just goes to show wether they fluffy or not they are still as lovely (I never thought I'd say that !!) I'm totally smitten with Delta lol.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
When you have a minute, pictures would be great. And there's nothing wrong with rocket, mine eat collard greens & bok choy, they're not keen on veggies either. At least he's eating greens, that' great! Sounds like he's got a big appetite!

Kirstypeach40

Original Poster
Hi
Sorry for the delay I've been manic. I was also having issues with photobucket as I'm a technical lettuce !!! After reading through this site think I've found the other way so here goes lol
82852-633054874.jpg
Delta is now about 16 weeks, she's shedding at the moment it's got to be the third time since we got her at 8 weeks !!! She had already lost a toe when we got her it doesn't seem to cause any issues though although when shedding it seems to swell a bit not sure if that's coincidence.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awww, Delta's very beautiful. As for the toe, it's normal that it swells. You're going to need to soak her alot while shedding, just to make sure the skin all comes off. You might needs to help a big around that problem toe.

I'm so glad you've fallen in love with her, it's not hard to do. People are always surprised at how sweet dragons are.

Thanks for sharing!

Kirstypeach40

Original Poster
Thanks I bath Delta daily especially when she's shedding she's getting more used to it now as she hated it before. I did have to carefully help the shed round her toe the last time I always did it after a bath. She is growing really quick a lot quicker than my other daughters who is at uni. She got hers a couple of weeks after but delta is greedy when it comes to hoppers lol.
82852-8599189897.jpg
Would you say her eyes are too droopy ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom