Outside Enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Any suggestions on a temporary enclosure for time outside that does not need to be supervised every second? Right now Pogo (about 2-3 months) will only sit on me outside (or in a bath). She is too small for a harness and I don't want her near the grass/bugs since our lawn is treated. I have a deck that I could put some type of enclosure on (which is elevated and above the yard). Basically, I am getting sunburned by standing out there with her and I can't stay in the shade or else she won't get the sun!

On another note, I know sand substrate is not recommended for use in the permanent cage or feeding cage for juveniles, but would supervised time in an enclosure with sand be bad, as long as there was no food present? I am looking for out-of-cage activities for a baby that can't be harnessed yet. I let her run around on the rug sometimes, but she is still very small and fast enough to get into places that could harm her, so she can't really free roam yet. The only rooms that can be baby-lizard proofed have cold marble/tile floors - so I don't think that is a good idea - cold and slippery = bad.

onceblue

Hatchling Member
Instead of sand, you can use whole flax seeds, which are digestible. It was recommended to me to wait until my beardie is 12 inches before adding a dig box to his enclosure because they are still at greater risk for impaction when they are small, but if you will be supervising, you can remove Pogo if she starts eating them.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Original Poster
onceblue":381dcndw said:
Instead of sand, you can use whole flax seeds, which are digestible. It was recommended to me to wait until my beardie is 12 inches before adding a dig box to his enclosure because they are still at greater risk for impaction when they are small, but if you will be supervising, you can remove Pogo if she starts eating them.

Thanks! Yes, I wasn't going to put it in her enclosure. Only in a "play pen" where she will be monitored.

Derz13

Not sure if you have figured out a temporary outdoor enclosure yet, but I just got my beardie an enclosure for outside "play time" and he LOVES it!!

I got it off of amazon for about $45 its pretty big my Benjii is 5 months, 13" and he has plenty of room to roam and it will work once he gets bigger.
They have one that is about half the size for half the price if you'd rather stick to a smaller one.
I will try to attach some pictures later if I can.

Here is the link to buy it off amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Apogee-APG-REPTARIUM-BASIC-22/dp/B0009YEB0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441602436&sr=8-1&keywords=apogee+reptarium

And here is the link directly to the website if that doesn't work:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptarium-Cages

It is not a top quality product, but for the cheap price it is a great product for a temporary outside cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom