Bulb burnt out...AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
Ok so it feels like the basking bulb that I use for Dalia only lasts about a couple months, maybe even less. I wanna say that the last bulb I got from Petco was a ZooMed 150 watt basking bulb.

I swear that I've only had the bulb for a month or two. I could be wrong, but it seems like the basking bulbs are supposed to last longer. I have her lights on a timer which goes 13 hours, since I've been trying to go with the normal daylight cycles.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other basking bulbs to use? I'm tired of always having to go out and get a new one every couple of months. (Generally I keep my receipt and exchange the bulbs, but this time I couldn't fine the box or receipt... :( ) And I need to buy her bulb today since she doesn't have a basking bulb at the moment. It burnt out this morning before I had to go to work...

SIZEMICT

I have been having the same problem for the past 4 bulbs. I use the Zoo Med 100. Those bulbs are supposed to last 2000 hours or basically 5 months at 12 hrs a day. I spoke with the Zoo Med rep about it and he said he was unaware of the problem. Pets mart has been warranting them but it is still a pain. I'm glad it's not just me.

SIZEMICT

SIZEMICT":1le2grsn said:
I have been having the same problem for the past 4 bulbs. I use the Zoo Med 100. Those bulbs are supposed to last 2000 hours or basically 5 months at 12 hrs a day. I spoke with the Zoo Med rep about it and he said he was unaware of the problem. Pets mart has been warranting them but it is still a pain. I'm glad it's not just me.

I forgot to mention I am only getting about 30 days out of the bulbs

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SIZEMICT":3sofq7lf said:

Yeah I actually use the ZooMed 100 too. I've returned it to petco in the past and told them the same thing. The box says its supposed to last 2000 hours but will barely last 2 months. ugh...I've also seen reviews saying the same problem we're having with the bulbs. If ZooMed doesn't already know they should seriously check into their products.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use the 150 and have had issues intermittently. Sometimes I'll get 4 months or so but I've had a few burn out quickly. I keep some halogen bulbs on hand as well. A PAR38 halogen flood light or BR40 flood bulb should work but you'll need to play around with the wattages a bit to find a good equivalent temperature wise. Either way, I've gotten into the habit of having a few basking bulbs on hand in case of burnups.

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":257oqm15 said:
I use the 150 and have had issues intermittently. Sometimes I'll get 4 months or so but I've had a few burn out quickly. I keep some halogen bulbs on hand as well. A PAR38 halogen flood light or BR40 flood bulb should work but you'll need to play around with the wattages a bit to find a good equivalent temperature wise. Either way, I've gotten into the habit of having a few basking bulbs on hand in case of burnups.

Yeah after doing some research I'm going to try using Flood light bulbs with a dimmer. You get more bulbs for the same price as one bulb at the pet store. I'll try that and if I can't get the right temps with the bulbs I'll bite the bullet and get another dumb overpriced bulb from Petco or Petsmart.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The clear front or frosted bulbs may work best. The outdoor style with the textured lens (the name escapes me at the moment) have been seen to create some small intense hot spots. Something that could be monitored with a temp gun.

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got some 65 watt flood bulbs with a dimmer but last night they weren't getting to the temps I needed. Granted they were only on for about an hour before lights out, so I'll check today when I get home from work. For heat I have the ceramic heat emitter setup above the highest part of the log that Dalia likes to sit on. I put her there last night and she ended up sleeping there, (I shut it off overnight so she didn't get too warm while she slept).

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!!!

apparently Lowe's sells heat bulbs and they're cheap! I got a 125 watt heat bulb that fits in my light fixture for only $3.57 :D Dalia really seems to like the new bulb since she's been out basking a lot more lately. I think she was spending so much time in her cave because the other bulb was dying and she wasn't getting enough heat. I did buy a dimmer just in case the bulb was too strong but it seems to provide the perfect amount of heat to her basking spot, and surrounding area :D :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom