A day of rest...no lights or food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen7724

We just got our baby (boy) 3 days ago. He's a beautiful hypo citrus tiger from a very well known reputable breeder. We've named him Apollo, he's 3 1/2 wks old and already 8" long. Anyways my question is...the breeder said she gives all of her dragons one day of rest, Sunday, which involves no lights, heat, food, baths or handling. I tried to Google it and found only one other reputable breeder that does this. We obviously want Apollo to be as healthy as possible so I'm reaching out to you to provide some input. Do any of you provide a day of rest? My gut tells me not to continue it because he gets his rest while the lights are out 11 hrs of the night but this breeder has amazing dragons that appear extremely healthy (by appearance) and she's been in the business for over 20 years so she knows her stuff. I've got his lights on a timer and currently they are not set to be turned on Sunday but it's Thursday and I can change them if need be. I feel like all his other care is superb and taken care of but this is the one question I'm stressing about. Please help?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Not saying this doesn't work for her but seems a bit bizarre. Unless her dragon room is well lit? The food thing is probably not a big deal as reptiles are pretty good at dealing with scarcity, but no lights is unusual.

You could dim the lights or some other way simulate overcast or less favorable weather, but shutting everything down isn't something they would really be adapted to needing.

jen7724

Original Poster
I thought it sounded odd too. She explained it like it was a way for their bodies to rejuvenate and they were healthier this way but I hadn't read about anyone else really using this method. He's so young still, I don't want to do anything that's going to impede his growth.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I would never do this to a baby. In the long run it probably doesn't hurt but I don't see where it would help either. Its not like reptiles in the wild hide in the dark once a week for rejuvenation.

jen7724

Original Poster
My thoughts exactly. I know it rains and there may not be sun out but they get natural UV in the wild vs our manufactured UV and even if there's days of rain I still feel like they're perfectly fine because of the natural UV. He gets 11 hours w no lights when his timer goes off. I feel like that's plenty of time to rest w no bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom