Troubles With New Batch Arcadia 12% T5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
Hi everybody,

I recently bought new bulbs for my beardie. I stuck with what has been working, and bought some more Arcadia 12% T5 bulbs. Since changing it out, Moose has been miserable. Hiding, closing his eyes, showing dark colors, refusing food. He'd come out to bask with his eyes closed for a bit before hiding. This has gone on for about 1 and a half months.

After two weeks of this, I removed the reflector that I had installed to the fixture. This was in for two years without trouble (two brand new bulbs went in with the reflector, that is). At the closest point in his viv he's about 6-8 inches away. His basking spot is more like a foot (little less). He doesn't spend much time close to the UVB, regardless.

Three weeks ago I removed the reflector. I also began taking him outside, every day, for about half an hour (I haven't done this in over a year, tried several times and he just got too frightened).

Inside, he came out more, began eating (a little), and started basking again. He still liked to hide, and was still closing his eyes when he basked. This seemed to help a little. Now, when I take him outside he lights up like a glow stick; runs around like he did when he was a baby, and just enjoys being a lizard. It's adorable. I wish I hadn't given up on going outside when I did, he's been coming up to his window and even walking into his harness to go outside. But when I put him back in his viv, he'll just lie there, limp, with his eyes closed before eventually going under his rock to sleep.

I'm suspecting the Arcadia bulb is to blame, so I turned it off (yesterday). He's been running around his viv, climbing his wood and basking. He has his energy back, like he does when he's outside. In one day his whole temperament has gotten better. I haven't seen him hold his eyes closed, either.

So here's the question, is anyone else having troubles with these lamps ( I ordered from lightyourreptiles at the end of March)? They were "the way of the future" when I first bought them. But he's acting like I put a reptiglo coil over him. I know reptisun has a T5 now, is this a good alternative? Should I go back to a t8 setup?

Also, had a fecal done about a month ago, came up negative. He brumated over the winter.

Here are a few pictures of him enjoying his dark, UVBless viv.
i-4FVGGfK-L.jpg

i-xbmLq4Q-L.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....very nice set up you have for him, it really looks great :) Well, I don't use the Arcadia but I'm pretty sure that it is designed to go about 14 inches or so from the basking spot.....6-7" is probably just too close and bothers his eyes. Or did I misunderstand and that's what you had previously ? And the same reflector ? It's good that he enjoys going out now....if he went out every day for 45 minutes or more he would get sufficient UVB for the day. If you live in a warmer state and he could go out year round you wouldn't even need a UVB bulb, you could just put any old flourescent bulb in the reflector to light the tank.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You need to email Todd, the owner of lightyourreptiles right away to let him know you got a defective bulb. It happens. I use the MVB 80W and after a year they're still giving out great UVB (I have 5 dragons, plus a ramp with one at the top). He's a great guy and I'm sure he'll replace the light right away. If your Moose has been happy with the Arcadia lights for 2 years, it's a defective bulb or he wouldn't act this way. I swear by Arcadia but it happens that a light can be defective.

If you want to switch, Reptisun 10.0 is the best alternative. The other lights that are good are MVB's though, MegaRay is one but still the best is Arcadia.

So let him know, k? Meanwhile he'll be fine with sunshine every day until this is sorted and you decide what to do.

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I had him under a t8 reptisun 10 in his 40 gallon baby tank. I might just go back to reptisun. Regardless, I'll let Todd know I seem to have a bad bulb. I haven't done a ton of reading lately, is the t5 version good, or should I find a new fixture for the tried and true t8?

I also didn't know Arcadia was making MVBs now, I might look into that as well. I like having the fluorescent strip for the added light, though. His tank is pretty dark without it.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You can do both, but for the UVB I use lampstands and don't use tank tops. That way they get full UVB. Alot of people can't have the tank tops off because their dragons are young and like to climb. For me I have low furniture in my tanks (I have 5 dragons, 9 mo to 8 yrs) and they have the balcony and the living room to run around in. I have ramp they can climb with an MVB at the top on another lampstand. Having the MVB on top of the tank top filters out about 50% of the UVB. Doesn't work for everyone, though.

I have no idea what the difference is between T5 and T8, but Todd would know. I haven't used a tube for 8 years :mrgreen: He's very easy to talk to and answers you as soon as you email him.

Here's his email if you don't have it: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom