CHE in Dome fixture OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juce23

I just picked up a 60 watt CHE to heat my roach enclosure was wondering if anyone here used it with a dome fixture.. It says not to but I'm trying it.. Really hoping to hear from someone who has tried, or currently uses this setup..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is telling you not to use a dome fixture? I've used my 100w CHE in a dome fixture for nighttime heat on my enclosure for years without issue. I'd imagine the same would hold for using it over a roach colony. Keep in mind that the CHE can really dry out the air so you may want to provide some extra moisture in the enclosure depending on what you see once it's set up.

Juce23

Original Poster
The instructions say to not use with a dome fixture.. To use with one of their clamp lamps. Go figure.. The dome fixture I have has a ceramic base so I'm pretty sure it will be okay. It also has a dinner switch.. As far as moisture. I made water cubes and plan on using them in the enclosure.. It has plenty of ventilation as well.. What watt CHE do you use? Does it do a good job heating your enclosure? Mine has been plugged in for about 2 hours and the temperature has risen slightly.. I also have a heat mat underneath the bin.. Which only seems to heat the very bottom of the bin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's odd the instructions say that. The clamp lamps I have are all dome fixtures with ceramic bases anyway. I'm not usually one to advise going against instructions but it should be fine with a ceramic base dome as long as the dome is rated at or higher than the wattage of the bulb. I have a 100w CHE but it's used for nighttime heat for my dragon enclosure rather than the roach bin. I just use the under tank heat mat for the roaches. I put their cardboard housing on top of it and they've been fine. It gets the bottom of the enclosure up into the 90s most of the time.

The cubes will be good for moisture. I'd also offer plenty of vegetable scraps and occasional citrus for hydration. They really love orange slices.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Depending on the CHE and the dome/fixture the dome can trap heat and could lead to damage to the bulb or the fixture (socket or wiring). I guess just be mindful of the temperature it's getting.

Heat mats are pretty lousy for ambient temps, they are conductive heat mostly so they heat up wha they touch and little else. That said I dont have a problem with the heat may in either roach tank - they just cluster up where Ty want to be.

Juce23, did you end up keeping the dome fixture and using it? I just posted a similar question and saw that you had previously asked. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom