having trouble getting everything set up just right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiseleC

Hatchling Member
Hi,

my husband and i are trying to find the best way to light our tank. at the moment we have 2 approx 8 week old beardies in a 40 gallon (will separate as they get older or if they decide they no longer want to share :) ) we have had them for almost 3 weeks. Our tank is ZooMed and came with a lot. we have one of those double dome fixtures (also zoomed) that came with our terrarium and a separate dome for our CHE. now we have the Reptisun tube light. we have a 40 gallon. so right now we are having some trouble as we dont know what the best way to set everything up is. the top of the tank splits in two so the front portion slides out so you can clean the tank, take the beardies out etc. so the lights are all on the back portion (which the light looks more like its in the middle so it works that way. im thinking of going to to canadian tire and getting a hallogen flood bulb (i believe is what they are called) to replace my red basking bulb as i hear that they prefer bright white light. the white basking bulb that we got with our tank didnt seem to heat up enough so we bought the red bulb to replace it. i i am thinking of having the Reptisun 10.0 along the left side and having the flood bulb in the left side of the double dome fixture and putting the CHE in the right side of the double dome fixture. i know this may be hard to understand without pictures (sorry, i take lots of pics of the beardies but they never really show how the tank is set up). Im hoping someone can help with this as my husband and i are a little saddened/frustrated with geting it all set up and comfortable for the critters. and at the moment, its hard to tell if they like it because they are both going through a shed so they are stressed and annoyed anyway lol. any help would be appreciated!!! we just want them to be happy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Replacing the red bulb with a bright white bulb is a good idea. Canadian Tire probably has what you need (I've found that they carry an amazing array of stuff - I used to get hockey equipment there when I was a kid). Your best bet is a PAR38 size halogen flood light. You'll want one that doesn't have neodymium coating on it. You may need to play around with the wattages a bit until you find one that gets the proper temp at the basking site. If you get a lamp dimmer or an adjustable stand it may be helpful for fine tuning a bit as well. I agree with your thought about putting the basking bulb and the UVB light on the same side. It's best to allow them to compliment eachother over the basking area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom