Safe to build basking platform in short cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having trouble keeping temperatures warm enough during these winter months and wanted to build a wrap-around basking platform/hide to help Zephyr keep warm. I am concerned about the distance from her UV lamp, however.

Current setup:
4'x2'x1' ABS plastic cage, with a cutout on the roof: the cutout has a metal grate (1/2" or so between bars), on which her lamp rests. The UV lamp is centered and mounted to the rightmost side of the cage. Tile substrate. Rough diagram below:

mdIfCQu.png

The distances provided are from the bulbs to the floor and tallest basking areas (a log and rock decoration-other decor in cage are shorter). Would it be safe for me to build platforms at the same height? Right now Zi spends most of her time with her front half on top of her left log (she is too big to sit her whole body on top comfortably). The temps in her cage as of right now are 95/80/75. Nighttime temp is 68.

Due to the way the cage is built, I can't add another lamp/che, but I can change the current basking lamp setup.

Bonus photos of the girl in question:
XpP1kpb.jpg

vjTPIzd.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm not sure what you are asking... Are you wanting to replace the current furnishing with platforms?
I don't see a problem with that. Though, she may be sitting like that because she likes the posture - I'd offer ramps/slopes too.

The UVB is measured out from the bulb, so if you don't have a reflector the UVB will be highest at the block on the left. It won't be much when it reaches the back wall, and will be 0 at the basking area.

zephyrsmom

Original Poster
Taterbug":1viu90nt said:
I'm not sure what you are asking... Are you wanting to replace the current furnishing with platforms?

That's what I'm looking to do, yes. I'm not sure if she's getting adequate heat and UV though.

Taterbug":1viu90nt said:
The UVB is measured out from the bulb, so if you don't have a reflector the UVB will be highest at the block on the left. It won't be much when it reaches the back wall, and will be 0 at the basking area.

I'm not sure what you mean by reflector? Could I replace the basking bulb with an MVB and still be safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom