Size of Tank vs. Wattage of Heat Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
I am trying to gather info on ideal wattages for different sizes of vivariums.

Think you could tell me what size tank you use?
What wattage your basking light is?
How far away from the light is the basking spot?
And what are your temps?

Thanks!

Its going to vary a lot based on ambient temperatures in the room, local climate, tank size, tank top, tank material, substrate, type of bulbs used (halogens vs incandecent vs MVB...), distance to the basking spot etc...

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
glitch_in_the_system":c5af8 said:
Its going to vary a lot based on ambient temperatures in the room, local climate, tank size, tank top, tank material, substrate, type of bulbs used (halogens vs incandecent vs MVB...), distance to the basking spot etc...
I understand, but just generally I'm trying to get a feel for it, thanks for your input :D

glitch_in_the_system":c5af8 said:
That being said I have a 4x2x2 viv and I use I halogen 50wat par 20 flood and one halogen 40wat par 20 flood plus my reptisun 10.0.
cool :D your temps looking good with those? how far away are you from the basking lights?

MrsHutch

I'll give you my info:

I have a 80cmx40cmx40cm wooden viv with glass doors and 11x22cm mesh panel at the front for better ventialtion
I use a 60watt Sunspot basking light (made by Eurozoo - a German company) and a 24inch Arcadia 12 UVB tube, used with a reflector.
I have a basking stone about 7 inches underneath the lamp
My temps are: basking spot average 105 (sometimes as high as 110, never below 102)
Ambient/mid temps: average 95
Cool side: 76-78

This is my set up bearing in mind it is getting pretty cold in Germany right now. I have my basking bulb on a dimmer switch as during warmer weather my basking spot was getting up to 115+ degrees :shock: . The temps above are with the light on maximum.

Hope this helps your research! :blob5:

frank79

Hatchling Member
Hi
Here is my setup.I have a 3x2x2 wooden enclosure with front sliding doors (although now thinking about a 4x2x2).I use a 120 wat sb megaray in a dome.I fitted it by cutting a hole through the top of the enclosure and then srewed the dome to the top which gave me more than enough for the min distance required. Distance from the basking spot is 17 inches.I then have a 2ft full spectrum tube (non uvb) across the top for extra lighting.Temps are 106f on the basking spot and 81f on the cool side (all temps taken with temp gun).I also just rencently installed two mini fans which are run on a lucky reptile thermo control pro 2 which will only come on if the enclosure gets above 110f to extract the extra heat.Well thats my set up hope it helps your reasearch. :D :D

Jess

Extreme Poster
My little guy is in a 20 gal long tank, and I have a 65 watt flood light. I have this cool little light fixture that puts the bulb inside the viv (This: http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?id=SOC80040), so my light is about 8 inches away from the basking spot. Temps on the basking spot: 105*-108*F, and the cool end is 77*F. I have an 18 watt ReptiSun 5.0, and I also have on of those coiled "Energy Saver" bulbs at the cool end just for some extra light.

Hope this helps!
This is a good thread idea too! I was wondering how big of a light I should use when I upgrade to my 40 gal, so this thread will help!

Edit: Forgot to add that we keep my house at 68*F, incase that helps :)

20 gal long glass tank, used with a screen top... currently my recovery tank, as its easier to keep clean and disinfected.

I have a 60 watt incadescent house bulb on the top of the screen which equals out to be around 12" from the basking spot (slate rock, sits on bottom of tank) and temps are 90-105 depending on time of day/outdoor temps.

I have a reptisun 10.0 uvb mounted inside the tank and his platform is set 6" from the bulb itself.

Hot/Basking Side: 95-105deg
Cool Side: 75-80deg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom