Setting up 55 Gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
I Have this tank but I cant figure out what all to buy.. parts wise for the dragon to make him or her comfy in there new home.

Is it necessary to have a screen top? Will they get out?

Im mainly looking for links to what all I will need to buy for my new BD.. I assume most can be found at a local pet store can it not? I am also wondering about what to set the tank on? I dont have a stand for it. Would it be a bad Idea to leave some of the edges hanging over? Say the left and right side hanging off of a table or something? Are BDs very mobile? would they be able to cause this to topple over?

I could always get two smaller tables for each end and just let the middle go somewhat un-supported? that be ok?

Any Ideas?

Rachella

Juvie Member
Howdy!

You will definitely want a screen lid for the tank, not only does it keep your beardie from crawling out if they wanted to, but it gives you a place to set the UVB bulb and heat bulb needed for the beardie's care. I've heard tales of beardies getting out of their tanks, even when there isn't any apparent way for them to do it, true escape artists if they're determined enough!

I know for aquariums you want full and complete support for them since they're filled with water and without proper support the tank can break. However, a reptile tank should be okay with an inch hanging off or so. I wouldn't trust it enough to leave it without support in the middle.

Beardie's can be very active and tromp all around but I don't think they could topple a 55 gallon tank. As far as purchasing things for the tank I'd suggest a good basking spot, generally favorable as a flat area about 8 or so inches away from the UVB bulb. Maybe something they can climb on, no real plants or standing water (such as water in a bowl for drinking, BD's don't really drink like that) because they'll raise humidity which can lead to respiratory infections. Rocks, safe things to climb, all of those are acceptable decor for a beardies tank. You can generally buy these things from pet stores, but beware because they can and probably will overcharge you for it. A good place to purchase things online would be petmountain :: http://petmountain.com/

Do you have any other questions or concerns? The forums here are filled with a lot of very experienced, knowledgeable people that can give great advice if you have anything you need to ask! :D

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi there !
Lots of questions, and here are the answers !

First some for you.
What substrate you planning ?
how old of a dragon are you planning to house temporally here ?
what kind of UVB are you planning, tube florescent or Mercury Vapor Bulb ?

Okay now that is out of the way, here goooooes !

Substrate. It is recommended that you use a non particulate substrate such as non adhesive shelf liner, reptile carpet, textured ceramic tile-like slate, paper towels.

Lighting. every dragon needs a good source of UVB and a proper Basking light.
If you are planning a florescent, then this is the one to go with:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html
If you are planning a Mercury Vapor Bulb, here is the top dog :
http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php.
You will want to have this ready before you bring the dragon home, as you need to run it 3-4 days on a 14 hour shift, to properly "burn" in the bulb.

For basking, you can use a house hold flood light, this actually provides heat and bright lights which dragons thrive on.

Temperatures. Dragons need a basking temp between 100-110*F. They also need a cool side, temps 75-85*F. Over night temps should not fall below 65*F.
Now the best two options available are a digital Probe thermometer, you can find a good one at walmart, called accurite. This has two probes, one you place directly on the basking spot, and the other at the cool end. It takes 45 minutes in those spots without moving for an accurate reading. Also there are temp guns. basically you point and click for an immediate accurate reading.

Diet. Your dragon is what he/she eats so this is very important. Here is a wonderful link. Just use the green for daily, and the black for treats 1-2 times a week only :
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Supplementation. Your dragon will need a good calcium to keep bones strong, and vitamins for good health.
The link for the ReptiSun also stocks Rep-cal phosphate free with D3. Use this 5 times a week, a pinch on the salad and on first insect feeding of the day.
Also, this store carries Herptivite, an excellent vitamin. 2 days a week, pinch on salad and first insect feeding. you don't want to combine these.

Also, keep in mind that you will need a metal screen lid for the top of the tank to prevent acrobatic dragons escaping !

That is your basic needs.
Feel free to ask anything that you are interested in !
Janie :)

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks im somewhat new to the site and Im just looking to get the housing thing out of the way and setup so that once I do buy my new dragon.. I guess he will be a baby/juvie Im going to be buying him from the local pet store. No pet smart or nothing like that this is a pretty good Fish/Reptile store local to my area. So I trust the animals to be healthy.

Substrate will be paper towels to start with until hes older.. then I will upgrade him to a tile/sand mix maybe.

I havent picked anything out yet in terms of lighting or bulbs or anything like that.

Thats why I came here :) Im looking for advice on how to setup his home.

Im mainly concerned now about the tank being stable with either the ends overlapping off the edge of my stand for the tank or that they will be ok with the center somewhat un-supported. Again I dont know anything yet I need to take some measurements. the Fish tank was roughly 4 feet long I think. I need a stand that is that long to set the tank on :p the tank will be somewhat near a A/C Vent so I was somewhat worried about that but I guess I can put the hot side of the tank on that end with the hot lamp there to keep it even warmer.

Rachella

Juvie Member
Just a suggestion, but if you can get to a Wal-Mart they have folding tables for about 30 bucks or so, give or take. I use one as my computer desk! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7679241 That's the exact table I have but holy crap, either the price jumped in the last year or so or they overprice online! I got mine for about 30 bucks or so at WalMart and they have smaller ones, or even a card table could do.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks a bunch.. thats just a little too big for the space I need to put it in :) I have about 4.5 feet of space to squeeze him in.. since im trying to get it near the window's .

So what are the best lights and such? and how do you put them on the tank so they dont go moving all over the place and so I can still get in and out of the tank? Where can I get some wooden branches for him to climb on and bask on?

Rachella

Juvie Member
They have four foot tables also, just have to find them. :) If wal-mart doesn't have them then Home Depot or Lowes or some sort of store like that might have them also. I love the darn things, really. Cheap, collapsible, make nice desks~ Haha.

As far as lighting goes, like zebra said, you -will- need a UVB. It isn't an option with bearded dragons, they -need- UVB lights to remain healthy. Without them they will develop Metabolic Bone Disease, MBD, which will kill them. The best on the common market would be the Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb, it's a long tube bulb and it's highly recommended to purchase from this link :: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html as it comes out just a little cheaper than the pet stores. This light and every other UVB light (other than a MVB which is explained below) will need to be changed out every 6 months to continue giving the beardies the proper exposure to UVB they'll need.

The BEST UVB bulb, which is so effective that beardies are able to produce their own D3, is a MVB bulb. More pricey, but it only needs to be changed out once a year (every 10-11 months) to remain effective. They also give out their own heat, so a separate heat bulb wouldn't be necessary. In the long run I honestly think this saves more money, as well as improves the beardie's health. http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php is the link to find those, thank you for zebra for posting them! As zebra said also if you go with the MVB (recommended, really, but not pushing it) you'd want to 'burn' in the bulb first before ever putting your beardie under it, as not doing so could end up injuring the beardie. Which means to have it running in 14 hour cycles for about 3 days or so before putting it over your beardie.

If you choose to go with the Reptisun you will need a seperate heat lamp placed on one end of the tank to give your beardie a proper basking place. Placing it on one end also keeps the other end cool so they can move away if they get too hot. I use a regular, full spectrum 75w house lightbulb I get in packages of 6 from Home Depot for like 4 bucks. There's no need to buy the more expensive heating bulbs from pet stores or online, because all they do is provide heat - nothing more. So a house bulb works fine, just make sure you put it in a proper dome housing. I bought mine from Home Depot also for five bucks each, but if you wanted to purchase online http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-light-fixtures/507155/5.5-inch-75-watts.html is only 12 dollars and gives you a good idea of what you're looking for if you make the trip to Home Depot or Lowes or any other hardware store.

As far as lighting placement your UVB needs to go across the entire top portion of your beardie's tank so that no matter where they are they can get -some- UVB. The heat light should only go on one end to give the beardie a hot end and a cool end so they can properly regulate their body temperatures. If you get a screen lid this won't be much of a problem, just place them right on the screen! If you get the MVB though you will want to watch out for the heating and raise the lamp off the screen to keep it from melting or getting too hot - you can do this by just simply placing a few pieces of wood beneath the edges of it's dome or something.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to just zip the lid off and not worry about the lights. Well, not entirely. For instance, my beardie Dude has a UVB that is actually a few inches larger than his tank and I have a sliding screen lid, so when I slide it off the UVB stays in place, no problem. But his heat lamp sits on the screen itself so I generally have to unplug it and set it to the side while I'm working with Dude. My other beardie's tank however has a regular screen lid that doesn't slide and needs to be picked up to be taken off, so all of her lights go with it - meaning I generally have to remove her lights before opening her tank. It's really not that big of a hassle and becomes second nature after awhile, you won't even notice it.

Now, if you MAKE your own viv you can easily put sliding glass doors in the front so you never even have to bother with the lights except for turning them on or off and changing them out. Just slide the door open and voila. But that only comes with custom-made vivs.

As for wooden branches petmountain once again has a selection of them ::http://www.petmountain.com/category/409/1/reptile-driftwood-vines.html but you can find them generally in any pet store or fish store. Just make sure you remove all tags and bake, yes, BAKE for half an hour in the oven. I turn mine up to 350, let it preheat, then toss them in there for thirty minutes. This helps to kill anything harmful that might be clinging to the wood, whether it be small bugs or bacteria. It's recommended to do this if the beardie ever poops on the log - clean it off, toss it in the oven. Helps to purify it as well as makes a nice smell! Haha.

Hmm I think that addresses your questions so far... I hope you're not overwhelmed or anything! It's not nearly as complicated as it looks, I assure you! If you take proper care of your beardie you'll find them to be one of the most wonderful reptiles to keep! :love5: As always if you have -any- more questions please ask! That's what we're here for!

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well Im all about going over the top and cheaper in the long run is much easier on my wallet so I guess I will look into the MVB? that is the mega ray correct?

So with this I still need a basking light? Where in the tank would be the best suited place for these? Put a basking light on one end to create the hot side? and the MVB on the other to make the cool side stay warm but not get cold?

What about during the night? How can I ensure his or her tank can stay in the normal temp window? which that is 65* give correct?

Do they only need the basking light and the MVB light fixtures?

Rachella

Juvie Member
Correct the MVB would be better in the long run in my opinion. With the MVB though you will -not- need a basking light, aka a heat lamp. The MVB puts off it's own heat, so you would be down to just one light to worry about - which is a good thing. Just place the MVB on one side of the tank to keep one side warm with the other cool.

A lot of beardie owners don't use heat lamps at night, so long as the temperature in your house doesn't get cooler than 60-65 degrees fahrenheit, they should be fine so I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel like you absolutely need one though use one that doesn't put off light. It doesn't matter what anyone tells you, any light, even red ones will disrupt a beardie's sleep. If you feel like you need one I'd suggest a ceramic heater like this one http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-heaters/107630/exo-terra-exo-terra-heat-emitter.html . but hopefully you won't need one.

the MVB bulb should be the only light you need for a beardie's tank while using it. No other light is required

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So with the MVB thats the only light I will need? it will do the job just fine? keep the hot side hot enough and the cool side good? during the day?

Thats great news :)

So I need to get it.. find a way to mount it inside the tank. How close should my new Beardie be alowed to get to this? obviously not laying on it but any tips for putting this in the tank and setting up a place for him to get near it at?

Burn the light for 14hours a day for 4 days before buying the BD?

Change every 10-11 months? what do I do when I need a new bulb? it will need burnt it also correct? whats a good way to do this without hurting the dragon?

Thanks for taking the time to make my questions seem worthwhile :)

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Hi there! I am going through the set up process now also; and also with a 55 gal aquarium. From what I understand the dragon should get no closer than 12 inches to a MVB bulb. The UVB will still have an effect up to 20 inches away. For a basking spot I just used a couple large, flat stones I had lying around. I threw them on the grill (the stove is broken :)) and let them cook for 15 min at 350 degrees.

Today I got this fixture for a MVB bulb http://www.reptilesupply.com/images/LF-17-Deep-Dome-Lamp.jpg (waiting for the bulb to come in). I put a 120 W floodlight in it to get an idea of the temps. I got this thermometer from Lowes (12$) to measure the temp on the basking and cool sides of the tank http://willowtreehome.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/00891A1.jpg. You can get something like this to hold the dome http://source-www.petco.com/assets/product_images/9/9761232200B.jpg. Right now I have it setting about 21 inches away from the basking spot and that seems to give me about the correct temp on both sides when including my fluorescent fixture. I'm sure I'll have to tweak it when the MVB gets here, but I am just trying to get an idea.

Yes burn the bulb in as zebra says. I guess you could get a new bulb a couple weeks before you will need it and burn it in on a different fixture in a different spot so it is ready to go when you need it.

Hope that helps a little

Aaron

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So where can I get the bulb? for this at? How much are screen lids? and dosent the screen filter some of the light from it out? Is it safe to use stones? I thought rocks got too hot and could burn there bellys?

Sorry im just triyng to get this thing setup so that I can have everything ready and just bring him home to a nice new home.

Heisei

Hatchling Member
If you get a Mega Ray I think you can get them directly from their website. As I am also new I don't know the best place to get things online, but many have been suggested in other threads and in this one (petmountain, for instance). I saw the screen lid at a pet store today for 20$. Even though everyone recommends them, I am still pondering whether I want to use one myself (I imagine they would screen some UVB out, but I don't know how much). I can't see the beardie getting out of the tank. But if there is no lid then you would have to consider how you will suspend the light. In that case you would have to get some sort of light stand like I showed in my last post (I think Zoo Med makes them). Or rig something up yourself.

I don't think rocks will burn a beardies belly if they themselves are not heated. It is those electric, heated rocks that cause trouble. I warmed the basking area of my tank to 110 degrees, then placed my hand flat on the rock. While it was warm at first, it cooled quickly after the light could no longer reach it. It also didn't burn my hand at all, or even give it any discomfort, so I think it should be fine for a beardie. You could always use a stick or something instead if you are worried about it.

Aaron

BeardieBaby69

Hatchling Member
Rachella is absolutely right. I went to Petco looking for the Reptisun 10.0 and it was $50 !! I refused to pay that , so I went home and got online at Petmountain and got it for $17 ! It made me want to go back down to Petco and let them have it ! Instead, I went back on a saturday and told everyone that was looking at them that they could get them cheaper online and told them where to go and what the price was. I got dirty looks from Petco workers , but I didnt care. Saturday is a VERY busy day for Petco. So I made sure EVERYONE knew they were getting robbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom