UVB Size and Cool Side Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaveittoweaver

Hello there! I'm new to the forum and debating getting a bearded dragon. I've done a lot of research and have worked with Beardies before, but never owned one. I currently have a 40 Gallon Breeder, the R Zilla kind with the sliding screen top. I have an extra fixture suitable for a UVB bulb but the bulb length in the fixture is 18 inches. Is this too short? Should I get a 36 inch fixture with a 36 inch bulb? I'm just trying to be somewhat frugal, I will obviously buy what is necessary, but if I can save some here and there that'd be great. I also have plenty of clamp lamps, and I know I need one to be a basking light and then one for the cool end. But does the one for the cool end have to be a light? I have extra Ceramic Heat Emitters and love those things. Could I just use this?

Any help is greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The 40g breeder is only 36 inches long correct?
You wouldn't be able to fit a 36 in bulb in there then. You want the bulb to be 3/4ths the length of the tank or so. So the next option would be a 24 inch reptisun 10.0 or arcadia 12%

You don't really need a light on the cool side unless you want one.
If the basking temps are correct, you should have a proper gradient down to the cool end. I would think adding a CHE on the cool end would not provide any cool place for the dragon to go when he/she is too hot.

If you want to add light on the cool end, use a low wattage incandescent or halogen bright white.

-Brandon

leaveittoweaver

Original Poster
claudiusx":8ok4pvju said:
Hi there,

The 40g breeder is only 36 inches long correct?
You wouldn't be able to fit a 36 in bulb in there then. You want the bulb to be 3/4ths the length of the tank or so. So the next option would be a 24 inch reptisun 10.0 or arcadia 12%

You don't really need a light on the cool side unless you want one.
If the basking temps are correct, you should have a proper gradient down to the cool end. I would think adding a CHE on the cool end would not provide any cool place for the dragon to go when he/she is too hot.

If you want to add light on the cool end, use a low wattage incandescent or halogen bright white.

-Brandon

Thank you for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom