Beardie Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
This was an upgrade long-time coming and is too cute not to share.
Richter, my 7 1/2mo old dragon is growing huge, already 18.5" long and 420g. His little basking stick hasn't been able to hold his full body in a long time, though his favorite position has always been to dangle from it.

I decided enough is enough, no more struggling to turn around, and added a corner hammock between his branch and the walls to give him more space to move around, and holy crap does he immediately love it.
89300-7781230295.jpg
89300-933755418.jpg
He was laying in it for hours last night, using his branch as a chin rest and allowing his arms to dangle between the small gap of the hammock and his branch. He'd just look around with his eyes, lick his little lips, and just arm dangle.

Considering the material and the positioning of it in a branch, I've been calling it his nest.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
As long as he can dangle and see what's going on, he's content :D
Took him a moment to figure out what it was, then after that he was like "oh heck yeah"
89300-3927961690.jpg

He was wild until he figured it out..

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well I just got home from work, and I don't think he'll move ever again.

89300-180730275.jpg
89300-3950569942.jpg

He found a way to dangle both arms and a foot AND rest his chin. He is one happy camper

89300-6060773926.jpg
89300-7159657171.jpg

Zanna

Hatchling Member
That's just toooo cute! May I ask where in relation to your lighting is the hammock strung? I have one for Lizzy but not sure where to put it.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Zanna":u7gcok2c said:
That's just toooo cute! May I ask where in relation to your lighting is the hammock strung? I have one for Lizzy but not sure where to put it.

He knows he's cute, look at that coy little face

His basking light is right above his branch, so partially into the hammock, and his UVB runs across the top. Bulb is a 65w halogen indoor bulb, UVB is an Arcadia 12% T5 22"
The below pic is before his corner hammock, but helps show the lighting
89300-6432166668.jpg

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Coy is right! They so know they rule haha!

Hmmmm, I may struggle as here's how my viv looks, The bulb is inside as u can see:
88187-3426784063.jpg

I've rearranged things but you can get the general idea.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, those built in lights can be restrictive with furnishing.. and you have to be careful not to get them too close they get burned.

When I eventually upgrade Richter to a larger viv (he's clearly going to outgrow this one) I wanted to build it myself and in a way I can still move the lights around. I am by no means ready to tackle this project, however :|

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Yes that's my exact concern, she is hiding a lot so she doesn't seem to be s sun worshipper.... maybe I should try hanging it more in consideration to uvb. I want her to enjoy it since she does try and climb on her fake background rocks the poor dear lol.

I think your set up looks awesome btw, your buddy clearly has a palace ;) and is well loved ;)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
How new is your little one?
I'd be reluctant to keep moving things around as it could stress her out. She has such a nice big area to explore though! But of course she should be out enjoying the "sun" and not hiding :D Does her basking area get too hot at all?

And yes, he is too spoiled.
I am constantly trying to find ways to improve their lives. My oldest is set in her enclosure, but Richter is nearing 19" already, which means new viv and new setup after all my work :banghead: :cry:
I'll figure it out

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well he has already mastered his technique and is unapologetic. This is his I found him again after work today.

89300-4400742739.jpg
89300-5508640758.jpg

This is not what I pictured when I bought this

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Roflmao! I'm sorry but he is THE KING ;) and he knows it hehe

Her set up is about 2.5 months old. But we bought Lizzy as a baby last August, I'm thinking she's right around a year old.

I'm guilty of moving stuff too much because after being delighted with her new enclosure for two weeks straight and all systems go... she stopped eating, basking and just hid all day. I put new slate in. And yes have had nothing but drama with temp consistency which u can see if u check my posts. These types of Vivs hold heat. But had more difficulty with her glass one to start with. Seems a constant battle. I think u have the right idea.... build yr own. This being the first bearded dragon.... well my son and I did not do our homework. But our girl is spoiled rotten!
88187-9620389007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom