I found a wild baby mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
I didn't know where else to post this.I was hoping one of you snake lovers have raised mice :D Does anyone know what I should feed it? He is very small and got lost from his mommy. He wandered into my work so I took him home in a cardboard box (it is very cold and rainy outside). He has fur and his eyes are open but he is very young,and wobbly. I think he ate a few bites from the piece of cheese I put in the box. Should I give him warm milk?
I would appreciate any advice,thanks :D
I will post pics soon.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Since my last post he ate some carrot right from my hand. He is very friendly,I put my hand in the box and he crawled right up on me :D

100_6369.jpg

100_6378.jpg

100_6379.jpg

100_6381.jpg

See how short his tail is? Now I'm wondering if he is a mouse or a mole :oops:
100_6383.jpg

Here is a video *click*

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Hi Nicole :D
His tail has fur on it.
I've been googling pics of baby mice,and baby moles and I'm now I'm really thinking what I have is a mole. You agree?

If it has a layer of fur, it is more than likely not a mouse. You can generally tell it is a mole if he has really wide or flat hands, thick nails, and an almost complete lack of ears or eyes.

It's hard to see in the pictures, does he have visible ears? Do they point upwards (perpendicular to the skull) or do they point backwards (same direction as the skull). Or are they so teensy that you can't even tell (or see them)? To me, he sorta looks like a Bank Vole, or some other type of vole.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
He Michele
He is adorable but you guys are right,he is not a mouse.He is definately a vole of some sort. Either way really cute!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Yup,It looks like a Vole. :D
I just got back with some puppy formula (like you said Nicole) and I will try it in a little while.I will let you guys know how it went. I have to tuck Gemini in first. :D
That formula was $25!! :shock: They only had large cans,and I had to go to 2 different stores to find it. I also bought a box of rice at Stop & Shop so I can make him a warm rice sock.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh my goodness Michele, he sure is a cute little thing. :p I think he found you rather than you finding him. :lol: He sure can run fast. So, are you going to keep him? I've heard they have a pretty large litter so if you look closely tomorrow, you may find some more or even the mamma. :wink: Did he eat the puppy formula?

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Hi Diane and Christine :D

Lol Diane,I guess he did find me :lol: :lol:

To answer both your questions...I'm not sure if I am going to keep him or release him yet. I just hope he makes it through the next couple weeks. He wouldn't take any formula,but he did eat some apple. He really likes the warm rice sock too :D

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
puppytoes72":102rrp6z said:
Hi Diane and Christine :D

Lol Diane,I guess he did find me :lol: :lol:

To answer both your questions...I'm not sure if I am going to keep him or release him yet. I just hope he makes it through the next couple weeks. He wouldn't take any formula,but he did eat some apple. He really likes the warm rice sock too :D

Did you put the formula in a very, very shallow bowl or use a syringe?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Christine, this is what she told me in an email.
I tried with a dropper,I tried a little drop in the palm of my hand,and I also tried soaking a little piece of bread and putting it up to his mouth. Every time he pulled away or backed up.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
diamc":f0idcnh8 said:
Christine, this is what she told me in an email.
I tried with a dropper,I tried a little drop in the palm of my hand,and I also tried soaking a little piece of bread and putting it up to his mouth. Every time he pulled away or backed up.

Oh that's too bad Diane, it's odd that he won't take any fluids, I wouldn't know what to suggest?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom