New Eastern Water Skink Rescued

If there's no forum here for the one you have a question or comment about, post here!

Re: New Eastern Water Skink Rescued

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:23 pm

What's with your little ones and the obsession with the dish cupboard? Seems like a favorite spot :lol:
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:46 pm

CooperDragon wrote:What's with your little ones and the obsession with the dish cupboard? Seems like a favorite spot :lol:

Dark, and relatively safe I suspect.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, juvenile Cheakie (M) 21Oct19
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
CooperDragon wrote:What's with your little ones and the obsession with the dish cupboard? Seems like a favorite spot :lol:

Dark, and relatively safe I suspect.

Except from Mrs. Kingofnobbys.
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:29 am

8:30pm and the little skink is wide awake and exploring the new digs ( the skink penthouse ) and yes , it's discovered the food dish and had a feast of mealworms and crickets , ignored the BSFL though.

Here they are :

My old 10L hospital tub has been retired. Now have a 27L tub all set up.

It's a 13W UVB100 in a nano hood fixed under lid, heat pad under.
UVB measured 180 microW / sq.cm about 5" from the bulb, so will be OK level for an eastern water skink who is about 1/2 grown.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:46 am

Named him Cheakie.
Had his first weigh in today , wasn't very impressed with being grabbed and deposited in a little tub.

He weighs in at 18.6g so about 1/2 that of Fluffy.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Cheakie (the juvenile male) shed on Friday.
Weighed him again, he's gained 30% in body mass since I recovered him from amongst the mugs and crockery , and is noticeably longer inside the little 1L clickclak I use to weigh him, he's grown at least 1".
He is starting to trust me, doesn't try to get away from my hand when I replace the water, restock his fooddish , or pick him up in the little cardboard tube he likes to hang out in during the day when he's not digging into the paper towels , or basking, or soaking in the water dish - watches me and even lets me pat him sometimes.

Gutzy shed yesterday, she is not keen on being picked up , so I don't force the issue , this will only reinforce her fear , she'll come around and start being more relaxed about my hand being near her when she's ready.
She does study me especially when I have Fluffy out for QT and fluffy playtime and handfeeding (Fluffy has decided she wants me to hand feed her lately, eagerly takes crickets, mealworms (pupae and worms) from my fingers and licks my fingers clean afterwards).
She's not very interested in the bluetongues who come out for daily roam abouts and snuggles , but is fascinated with Cleo and Caesar.

Gutzy and Cheakie both love the smell of people food, and both seem to really like TV when it's on.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:22 am

Thought I'd lost Cheakie this afternoon.
Couldn't see him in either his cardboard tube hides, his little converted round tub house hide, or under the paper towels when I changed his water, and topped up his food dish with mealworms and disabled crickets.
I was starting to think he'd somehow climbed up and pushed his way through the small gap the nano-hood cable makes under the rim of the lid.

Then I heard a little rustling sound and coming from his tub lid which was on top Fluffy and Gutzy's tub and he peaked out from behind the reflector plate of the nano-hood. Cheakie little bugger had somehow climbed / leapt up there and curled up behind the reflector .

He was none the worse for the experience , the 13W UVB100 is not real hot.

This was a new one to me.... I've had beardies who were fascinated by their 26W UVB200 in a dome reflector hung pendulum style from rearing tub lids, but never had a lizard manage to get inside a nano hood before.
Though I have heard of smaller arborial pythons and frogs and geckos doing this.

Fluffy has decided she like's crawling under my T-shirt sleeves , she spent 30mins there after a feed of BSFL and mealworms and some funtime. Longest she's ever sat still on me. I think the replacement 7.1 KW-COOL / 8 KW-HEAT we had installed today was too cold her , even I had goosebumps after running it for an hour set to 24 degC.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Silly guy. I guess he just wanted some UVB! :lol:
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:31 pm

I think Gutzy and Cheakie set each other off even though they are in separate tubs and the tubs are stacked so they can't see each other.
One or the other starts scratching at the corner or bottom edge of the tub it's in , and the other promptly does the same.

They are both very goofy and acrobatic and highly active and really nutty ( very funny to watch sometimes with some of contortions they get up to , and how they try to interact with me ( to get my attention ).

Mealwhile Fluffy is very laid back and just likes her usual thing of having very long soaks in her nice warm water dish and has definitely decided she want me to handfeed her , she'll visit her food dish to see what on off , and then stares at me and crawls ontop the front small Hubba hut waits for me take the hint.
I think some of this is she wants to have a break from her very active and nutty tank mate Gutzy and she wants some daddy QT too.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Other Reptiles