Advice for a beginner to CWDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
I've owned bearded dragons so i have experience in reptiles, but I'm considering a Chinese water dragon! Are their heating and lighting needs the same as beardies? Are there any needs/requirements that they don't tell you in the pet stores (for example for beardies: don't use sand, don't feed lettuce, etc.)? What kind of substrate should they have? Just any basic tips needed to get me started would be appreciated! I'll most likely get a baby. Thanks

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/dragoncr.htm

From the questions your are asking, I think you will be over your head with a water dragon. There are other reptiles you may want to consider that will have husbandry requirements similar to the BD.

Uromastyx
Skinks - Blue tongue or fire skink
Steppe Runner Lizards

Somewhat different than the above, but easier to care for than Chinese Water Dragons, consider leopard gecko or crested gecko.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't mind having to do the research and learn about them- the care doesn't have to be the same as bearded dragon care. I've just started the research today so yes I have a lot of questions but I wouldn't be getting one for a few months so I have time to learn! Just wanted to see if anybody had insider tips other than what you can find on the web. With having my beardie, I've learned that a lot of times the information on most care sheets is wrong. Just want to make sure I'm getting correct information. I used the bearded dragon forum a LOT when I got mine so I thought I'd do the same now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom